Closet light, Closet light

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

W e need to stick with the purpose of the room and what its called.That room the bedroom comes off of might be called a living room but lets include it too as a bedroom.Might as well call the house one big bedroom.

dcspector

Heck.... I have slept in my bathroom many a time after several cocktails or a bout with the li'l woman....I even have a smoke detector in it. Yep! Hard wired and interconnected......"bigolly" But that tub is not real comfortable.....Too short or "sumpin" must be that 7' thing...

stickboy1375

I sleep on my basement couch, but that room is not afi protected, it even has a closet... HUH? wonder what a bedroom really is? guess I have to wait for NEC to include a definition

Jim W in Tampa

stickboy1375 said:
i just wanna know what room I have to afi protect, If you cant define a bedroom for me, how can you say a closet does not need afi? just curious...

A bedroom is that area on the stamped print that says BEDROOM.Now some areas might call rooms with a closet a bedroom.But then that takes us to the next problem.What is a closet? If its also a bedroom then it lacks a closet.And in that case what you have is 2 rooms,one very small and one large.Neither of them can be called bedrooms because there is no closet.Did that help any ?

Jim W in Tampa

Main Entry: 1bed?room
Function: noun
Pronunciation: -"r?m, -"rum
: a room furnished with a bed and intended primarily for sleeping
- bed?roomed/-"r?md, -"rumd/ adjective

Pronunciation Key

More Information: Audio

Jim W in Tampa

stickboy1375 said:
So if I dont actually install a bed in it I dont need afi?

If you call it a den ,living room,family room,garage,laundry,bathroom or a closet and it has no closet then no you dont need afci.And if its a bedroom then it must be 100% a bedroom and that require egress,smokes and outlets within the 6 foot and 2 foot rules of habitable room.

stickboy1375

Jim W in Tampa said:
If you call it a den ,living room,family room,garage,laundry,bathroom or a closet and it has no closet then no you dont need afci.And if its a bedroom then it must be 100% a bedroom and that require egress,smokes and outlets within the 6 foot and 2 foot rules of habitable room.

Can you tell me where your getting your definition that a bedroom has a closet?

Jim W in Tampa

stickboy1375 said:
Can you tell me where your getting your definition that a bedroom has a closet?

Actually many many years ago bedrooms did not have built in closets.But most of us today call them rooms ment for sleeping with the added litlle room a bedroom.Is ther any requirment that a house has a bedroom ?

finhead

Sorry. I forgot to mention that the examples I refer to are in the Handbook under the definition of outlet.

In addition, I would like to hear from anyone who can find a reference in the NEC that refers to a switch outlet. For example, Article 210 talkes about receptacle outlets and lighting outlets.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Click here for the original "Big Daddy" AFCI thread that Al linked to earlier, in it's original format.

Click here for the summary poll, 75%/25%. I voted with the 75% that felt that a switch was not an outlet.

Stickboy, I believe the "if it has a closet" theory comes from the IRC, but I have not seen that myself. I have seen that interpretation (definition) enforced.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
finhead said:
Sorry. I forgot to mention that the examples I refer to are in the Handbook under the definition of outlet.

In addition, I would like to hear from anyone who can find a reference in the NEC that refers to a switch outlet. For example, Article 210 talks about receptacle outlets and lighting outlets.
Thanks for the reply. The two examples in the NECH explanatory text are not worded as an exclusive set. The definition of outlet includes the two examples after the Article 100 definition of "Outlet", but is not restricted to only those two items. Case in point: Consider the hardwired residential oven, an oven with a factory installed flex whip attached to the Premises Wiring (System) at a junction box mounted on the wall behind the oven.

Also, receptacle outlet and lighting outlet are two-word terms (also in Article 100) not to be confused with the one-word term outlet.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Stan, er, ah, George

Thanks for those links. I'd missed the other archive that you are linking to. I looked around for a bit, and found it.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Jim W in Tampa said:
A bedroom is that area on the stamped print that says BEDROOM.Now some areas might call rooms with a closet a bedroom.But then that takes us to the next problem.What is a closet? If its also a bedroom then it lacks a closet.And in that case what you have is 2 rooms,one very small and one large.Neither of them can be called bedrooms because there is no closet.Did that help any ?
Jim,

You're a genius!

finhead

I'm going into my bedroom from the 9 foot hallway.

From there I'm going to enter the closet and get my jacket. I will not contemplate whether the light is AFCI protected. I will not even turn it on.

With jacket in hand, I'm going to go to the tavern!

Status
Not open for further replies.