Closet light, Closet light

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
:D Heh! I'm on my way, too.

Thinking of a house I worked on a while back, I walk from the hallway, through the bedroom door into the bedroom hallway. I ignore the wife's closet behind the door to the right, and go through the door to the left into my closet. Walking through the closet, I grab my coat, and leave the closet by the second door, and enter the bath. After combing my hair, I leave the bath by its second door and go into the bedroom where I pick up my cell by the bed and continue on to the tavern by leaving the bedroom through the hallway (by the closet doors), going out the bedroom door into the hallway beyond, and etc.

raider1

Staff member
I believe the "if it has a closet" theory comes from the IRC, but I have not seen that myself. I have seen that interpretation (definition) enforced.

Actually the IRC does not define a bedroom.

But it does define a closet:

"A small room or chamber used for storage." It appears to me the intent of the IRC is that a closet is a separate room or chamber.

Again I agree with Jim that the a bedroom is what is labled on the plans. I could have a den with a closet and a bedroom without a closet.

Chris

tonyi

If the switch has an indicator light, then its an "outlet". If it doesn't , then its just a switch ;->

Jim W in Tampa

finhead said:
I'm going into my bedroom from the 9 foot hallway.

From there I'm going to enter the closet and get my jacket. I will not contemplate whether the light is AFCI protected. I will not even turn it on.

With jacket in hand, I'm going to go to the tavern!

How could you enjoy a drink knowing there might be a serious electrical problem like this ?

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
cowboyjwc said:
Didn't we just have this conversation about a week ago involving an outlet in the closet? And weather a closet was part of the bedroom.
I'll see your question and raise you one: Didn't we discuss this exhaustively six months ago with a record-setting number of posts?

Now, about that drink...

allenwayne

georgestolz said:
I'll see your question and raise you one: Didn't we discuss this exhaustively six months ago with a record-setting number of posts?

Now, about that drink...

This has been an ongoing dispute with no resilution so far,just opinions put out there.The only thing that has actually been determined is that if the switch is a lighted switch it is an outlet (since the switch utilizes electricity to illuminate )I say put it on the afci circuit and be done with it.

russ

Just wondering how many times someone has run a seperate circuit, or bothered to connect the closet light to another circuit, so that it wasn't on the AFCI of the bedroom ?

stickboy1375

JohnJ0906 said:
I dont think it is wrong to put it on the afci, I think the debate is over whether or no the closet light MUST be afci protected.

Yes, we are talking code, Does the Bedroom closet need to be AFI prtected?... I will answer that as soon as someone can define a bedroom for me...

Jim W in Tampa

stickboy1375 said:
Yes, we are talking code, Does the Bedroom closet need to be AFI prtected?... I will answer that as soon as someone can define a bedroom for me...

They mark it on print so you know what room it is.The county stamped the print so you should be able to figure it out.Bedroom is not spelled C L O S E T

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
ryan_618 said:
The only thing good about the NEC requiring all outlets to be AFCI protected in 2008 (probably) is that this argument will go away. :)
Ahhh, but will we understand outlet any better?

stickboy1375

Jim W in Tampa said:
They mark it on print so you know what room it is.The county stamped the print so you should be able to figure it out.Bedroom is not spelled C L O S E T

I dont wire too many houses with prints for your information...

allenwayne

stickboy1375 said:
I dont wire too many houses with prints for your information...

How would you know where the measurments of lets say a dining area are if there is a family room next to it in an open area.Or where the nook area ends ??? Or where to place vanity lights,or kitchen cabinet lay outs or door swings??????

stickboy1375

Do a walk thru with the owner...and builder... but that's about it... but it does not matter how I go about my business, my point is how can code say I have to have a room on AFI without a definition of that room.. that is my only point, I know everybody knows what a bedroom is... it is quite obvious but there are CERTAIN rooms that you can call whatever you want.. so are we required to wire a certain way because you think its a bedroom yet I call it an office? that's my only point...prints do not exist for every job...

Status
Not open for further replies.