Fyi

Status
Not open for further replies.

cpal

I recieved a response from UL on Dishwashers
I thought the Standard might be interesting to read.

UL.com
The following is from the UL web page:

DMIY.GuideInfo
Dishwashers, Household

[Cleaning Machines] Dishwashers, Household
422.16(B)(2)

USE AND INSTALLATION

This category covers household dishwashers intended to be installed in accordance with ANSI/NFPA 70, "National
Electrical Code."

Household dishwashing machines may be of the cord-and-plug-connected or permanently connected type.

An undercounter unit may not have a complete enclosure; the unit should be installed beside kitchen cabinets ,

and an enclosure should be provided at installation. Such units are so marked.

Some cord-connected units are suitable for field conversion to permanently connected installation; conversion

instructions are provided with the conversion parts kit .

Some permanently connected type dishwashers may be converted to cord connection by means of a cord kit that is available from the manufacturer of the dishwasher.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

UL Standard UL-749
UL 749
Household Dishwashers

7.3 Installation instructions

7.3.1A Where the installation instructions for a built-in dishwasher specifies
that the appliance is able to be connected by means of a power-supply cord
not already attached to the appliance by the manufacturer, the instructions
shall specify that a power-supply cord kit marked for use with dishwashers
shall be used. The cord kit shall comply wi th Clause 25.2A. The part or model
number of the power-supply cord kit shall be included in the appliance
installation instructions.
7.3.2 The installation instructions provided with a cord-connected undercounter appliance shall include
the following instructions or equivalent information:
a) the power-supply receptacle for the appliance shall be installed in a cabinet or on a wall
adjacent to the undercounter space in which the appliance is to be installed;
b) there shall be an opening through the partition between the compartments specified in (a) that
is large enough for the attachment plug to pass through. The longest dimension of the opening
shall not be more than 38 mm;
c) the edges of the opening specified in (b) shall, if the partition is wood, be smooth and rounded,
or, if the partition is metal, be covered with an edge protector provided for this purpose b y the
manufacturer; and
d) care shall be exercised, when the appliance is installed or removed, to reduce the likelihood of
damage to the power-supply cord.

25.2 Cord-connected appliances
25.2.1 The power-supply cord of an appliance provided with a means for grounding shall include an
equipment-bonding conductor and shall terminate in a grounding-type attachment plug.

25.2.4 For a cord-connected built-in appliance:
a) the flexible cord shall be Type S, SJT, SPT-3, or the equivalent; and
b) the length of the flexible cord shall be 0.9 ? 1.2 m, measured from the face of the
attachment plug to the plane of the rear of the appliance.

25.2.5 The power-supply cord shall be attached permanently to the
appliance or shall be in the form of a separate cord supplied as part of a
power-supply cord kit with means for connection to the appliance. The
power-supply cord kit shall comply with Clause 25.2A.
25.2.6 The ampacity of the cord and the current rating of the fittings shall not be less than the current
rating of the appliance.
For an appliance rated more than 15 A, the current rating of the attachment plug shall not be less than
125% of the current rating of the appliance.
A 20 A plug shall be acceptable for an appliance rated not more than 4000 W at 240 V. The attachment
plug shall be acceptable for use at a voltage equal to the rated voltage of the appliance.

25.2A Power-supply cord kits for use with undercounter or built-in
dishwashers
25.2A.1 A power-supply cord kit intended for the installation of an
undercounter or built-in dishwasher shall include the following:
a) power-supp ly cord, strain-relief means, and push-back relief that complies
with Clause 25.2;
b) a part or model number marked on the power-supply cord kit package, or
in the kit installation instructions;
c) installation instructions; and
d) grounding instructions in accordance with Clause 7.2.2.4(a).

allenwayne

Okay that only reafirmes that a d/w can be hard wired or cord conected.Hard wired needs a breaker lock out and a cord connection doesn`t.

iwire

Staff member
allenwayne said:
Okay that only reafirmes that a d/w can be hard wired or cord conected.Hard wired needs a breaker lock out and a cord connection doesn`t.

The breaker lock is only acceptable if the machine has a unit switch that is marked on and off.

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
The cord has to be in a kit marked for use by the manufacterer. I guess that means no more home made SJ cords. The kit comes with push back and strain relief. Do you think there will be a universal kit that's recommended or will each manufacturer use a proprietary system to make money off the kits.

cpal

allenwayne said:

"the instructions
shall specify that a power-supply cord kit marked for use with dishwashers
shall be used. The cord kit shall comply wi th Clause 25.2A. The part or model
number of the power-supply cord kit shall be included in the appliance
installation instructions."

As I understand from NEMA
GE is in the process of re-writing their PDF file installation instructions, they apparently did not mate up with the paper booklet shipped with the appliance.

yanici seems to grasped the impact of UL 749

Charlie

yanici

Occupation
Old Retired Master/Journeyman Electrician
After thinking about this cord kit thing, I realized that since the kit had to be referred by the manufacturer of the dishwasher, then maybe the kit should come as a packaged accessory with the dishwasher. I can't imagine looking all over town for a cord every time you wire up a dishwasher. In mass production it would not add much to the total cost of purchasing a dishwasher.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
jmd445 said:
Also, since when do they let you plug it into the adjacent cabinet?
Jim, see 422.16(B)(2)(4).

IMO, I see this as much ado over nothing. If the manufacturer kicks in another $100 to include "cord connection" in the listing, I seriously doubt anything will have changed in the internal wiring of the appliance. I do not see why special listing is required. I can cord and plug other appliances to permit their ready removal for inspection and maintenance, but have to jump through hoops for a dishwasher?

iwire said:
The breaker lock is only acceptable if the machine has a unit switch that is marked on and off.
Bob, I disagree. The breakerlock is acceptable in either scenario. But the unit switch on the appliance itself can only be used as the disconnecting means when it has a "marked-off" position. 422.31, 422.34.

A good question would be: Is a O on the dial a marked-off position? :)

iwire

Staff member
georgestolz said:
Bob, I disagree. The breakerlock is acceptable in either scenario. But the unit switch on the appliance itself can only be used as the disconnecting means when it has a "marked-off" position. 422.31, 422.34.

No it is not always acceptable.

If the appliance has a motor over 1/8 HP and does not have a qualifying unit switch the disconnecting means must be within sight.

This is required by 422.32

Don?t let what you ?get away with? in the field cloud your interpretation of what 422.32 requires.
icon7.gif

iwire

Staff member
Let me add that IMO people are only considring the shock hazards.

IMO the NEC, when it comes to motors is concerned about the hazards of injuries of moving parts and the NEC motor disconnect rules are tougher.

cripple

Fyi

Look at section 430.2 Definitions, which states the follwing:
Controller. For the purpose of this article, a controller is any switch or device that is normally used to start and stop a motor by making and breaking the motor circuit current.

rlMutch

iwire said:
No it is not always acceptable.

If the appliance has a motor over 1/8 HP and does not have a qualifying unit switch the disconnecting means must be within sight.

This is required by 422.32

OK, now I'm confused: 422:31(B) seems to allow the disconnect to be out of sight if a breaker lock-off is installed, but 422.32 requires it to be within sight unless the unit has a marked off position. Don't these two articles contradict each other?

allenwayne

Bob isn`t the restriction dealing with energized equipment.If it is locked out then it is not energized.A cord connection can be used as a means of disconnect.So no on/off required.Maybe I am wrong if I am please point it out.

cpal

rlMutch said:
Would a standard residential dishwasher be a 422.31(B) appliance, or a 422.32 appliance?

31(B) discusses the parameters of the appliance

32 addresses the "disconnect" for the appliance

(422.32 Disconnecting Means for Motor-Driven Appliance.)

hillbilly

yanici said:
The cord has to be in a kit marked for use by the manufacterer. I guess that means no more home made SJ cords. The kit comes with push back and strain relief. Do you think there will be a universal kit that's recommended or will each manufacturer use a proprietary system to make money off the kits.

What am I gonna do with the 100' of 12/2 SOW cord that I got a bargain on?
I guess I'll make another drop cord.
What the h*** is a "pushback"? Is it like the 51 chevy (first car) that I used to own ?
I smell fish (as in more money to the manufacturer).
steve

bjp_ne_elec

Bump - I'm also curious what a "push-back" is - and it never got answered. I was trying to figure out if this Kenmore that I have to install would have a cord kit called out - but it looks like Sear doesn't give you access to their Installation Instructions on line.

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.