Bathroom Outlet Circuits

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff48356

In a house with several bathrooms, does each bathroom's outlet need to be wired to a separate 20A circuit, or can one circuit be used to power all bathroom outlets in the house?

For example: Suppose a house is being built with 2 full baths and a half-bath. Each contains one outlet. As long as no lights or anything else is wired to it, can one 20A circuit be used for all 3 outlets?

480sparky

jeff48356 said:
In a house with several bathrooms, does each bathroom's outlet need to be wired to a separate 20A circuit, or can one circuit be used to power all bathroom outlets in the house?

For example: Suppose a house is being built with 2 full baths and a half-bath. Each contains one outlet. As long as no lights or anything else is wired to it, can one 20A circuit be used for all 3 outlets?

You can use one circuit for all the bathroom receps in a dwelling, as long as it is only the receps. As soon as you take it to anything else, such as a light or fan, then that 20a circuit must be only used for that bathroom and cannot go anywhere else. See 210.11(C)(3).

alfiesauce

You can place all of them on one circuit.
This also allows you to only have to use one GFCI, although some find the inconvenience of tripping a GFCI in another room and having to track it down not worth it and throw in a GFCI on each opening.
You are also allowed to put lighting and fan loads within the bathrooms on the circuit However, if you have more than one wife and/or more than one daughter I suggest you keep the circuit light. Atleast down to just the 3 outlets incase they all start their Binford 2000 hair dryers at once.

jeff48356

How much energy do hair dryers use? Let's say the house has 3 girls all trying to blow-dry their hair all at the same time, one in each bathroom. I'm sure all 3 would trip the breaker, but what about if two were in use at the same time?

iaov

I believe you can put these three outlets on the same circuit provided this circuit feeds nothing else. 210.11(3) exception states where the 20 amp circuit supplies a single bathroom... I take this to mean you can supply more than one bathroom on this circuit.

stickboy1375

jeff48356 said:
How much energy do hair dryers use? Let's say the house has 3 girls all trying to blow-dry their hair all at the same time, one in each bathroom. I'm sure all 3 would trip the breaker, but what about if two were in use at the same time?

And? .......

celtic

stickboy1375 said:
Sure, if someone is paying for it... :rolleyes:
That's what I'm talking about!

See this here hovel:
69663072.Fyp7GENf.Spelling.jpg

Probably about 19 bathrooms...all bath recepts. on 1 20A (I had to use #4 for the voltage drop).
Legal?
Sure.
Intelligent design?
Probably not
Did they go for the "upgrade"?
You better believe it.
:D

[BTW, this is a SFH in 90210]

frizbeedog

jeff48356 said:
Let's say the house has 3 girls all trying to blow-dry their hair all at the same time, one in each bathroom.

OK girls!

Hair drying scheme: One in the bathroom, one in the laundry, and one in the garage.

Sorry Mellisa, I know it's cold out there, but we all have to make sacrifices.....and besides, you're the youngest.

stickboy1375

frizbeedog said:
OK girls!

Hair drying scheme: One in the bathroom, one in the laundry, and one in the garage.

Sorry Mellisa, I know it's cold out there, but we all have to make sacrifices.....and besides, you're the youngest.

Tough love is not a bad thing. :D

peter d

frizbeedog said:
OK girls!

LOL...they make these things called "towels."

480sparky

celtic said:

See this here hovel:

Probably about 19 bathrooms...all bath recepts. on 1 20A (I had to use #4 for the voltage drop).
Legal?
Sure.
Intelligent design?
Probably not
Did they go for the "upgrade"?
You better believe it.
:D

[BTW, this is a SFH in 90210]

Can you move your truck? You're blocking the red Mercedes!

360Youth

480sparky said:
Can you move your truck? You're blocking the red Mercedes!

LOL. Nice eye. :grin:

celtic said:

See this here hovel:

Does the center piece rotate to line up the vehicles with the driveway entrance/exit? :grin: Party guests can come and go with blocking anyone in.:wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.