Hot Tub Wiring

Status
Not open for further replies.

frank112

I have a friend who just moved into a new Home. (just built). He paid the electrical contractor to install wiring for a future hot tub. He is finishing the basement and once the drywall goes up, its to late to make changes. The contractor installed a 50 amp circuit using 6-2 ser, aluminum wire. I think this violates the code. 680.42(c). Drywall is scheduled to go up this weekend. Am I right, or does this fall under another rule

frank112

I have always run 6-3 romex for a 50amp hottub. codebook per 680.42(c)
requires a copper ground, the way I read it

jes25

Why is it, whenever somebody asks a question who doesn't post a lot, we figure we must ask them a bunch of "what" and "why" questions before we respond.

Frank, thats the way I read it as well.

frank112

Thanks jes25.
I work as a commercial electrician, doing very little residential work. sometimes I need help deciphering the codes applying to residential. This is a great site to find help for people like me. Thanks again. Anymore input would be welcome

mpd

pierre

what if the contractor had installed a sub-panel for no specified use, ran SER cable with aluminum grounding conductor, the job got inspected and passed, 1 month later installed a hot tub, could he feed it from that hot tub using 680.25 (A) exception

jes25

mpd said:
what if the contractor had installed a sub-panel for no specified use, ran SER cable with aluminum grounding conductor, the job got inspected and passed, 1 month later installed a hot tub, could he feed it from that hot tub using 680.25 (A) exception

I dont think the circuit in question is a feeder, but a branch circuit, however you could get around the requirement by installing one of those GFCI breaker combo deals. That would make the circuit a feeder. A scam IMO but I suppose it would be legal.

jes25

I would say yes, if there is a seperate permit pulled at a later date to hook up the tub. I suppose the GFCI panel should be installed now in order to call it existing, later. Again I feel this is going around the code but I do think it complies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Pierre C Belarge said:
There are many people who miss this copper conductor requirement. That is a good pickup...
I in no way disagree. But I am putting this question out there to understand why this is so. I noticed it in the marina's article too. A copper ground is required, no less than a #12.

Why does copper have the leg up? Please alphabitize your list. :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
frank112 said:
Wouldn't these feeders need to comply with 680.25(A) or am I reading this wrong?
That is not correct, IMO.

For one, 680.25 restricts itself to 'Part II installations'.

680.40 states we must adhere to Part I & IV when dealing with hot tubs. So Parts II & III do not apply unless specifically referenced within a section.

So 680.42(C) is what we must adhere to in this circumstance, IMO.

dnem

georgestolz said:
frank112 said:
Wouldn't these feeders need to comply with 680.25(A) or am I reading this wrong?
That is not correct, IMO.

For one, 680.25 restricts itself to 'Part II installations'.

680.40 states we must adhere to Part I & IV when dealing with hot tubs. So Parts II & III do not apply unless specifically referenced within a section.

So 680.42(C) is what we must adhere to in this circumstance, IMO.
Good catch, George !
How about Jim's point of the amperage ?
Jim W in Tampa said:
I would suggest running some 1 inch conduit if this will hold the job up.Code book is outside in truck but i dont think #6 aluminum is ok for 50 amps
Table 310.16
#1 and smaller lugs are only rated for 60 degrees [unless otherwise lab marked]
#1/0 and larger lugs are 75 degrees [unless otherwise lab marked]
So a #6 Al must be connected to a 40 amp OC to protect the lugs regardless of what the wire temperture rating is.

Their future hot tub would be restricted in an OC of 40amps

David

Status
Not open for further replies.