Equipment above ceiling

Status
Not open for further replies.

msteiner

Does the Code allow me to place a cord-and-plug connected condensate pump and receptacle above a suspended ceiling? The ceiling space is a return air plenum.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
No, see 400.8(5)

(You could put the receptacle there but you can not plug anything into it.)

Roger

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Can a cord and plug appliance be installed in a canopy, located behind an access panel? I guess I'm not sure if that is still a suspended or dropped ceiling.

Just had a salesman tell me there is an exception for equipment that is serviced on a regular basis. I don't see that anywhere.

Steve

msteiner

As an alternative to a cord-and-plug connection, could I hardwire the pump to a disconnect switch above the ceiling? Or is the switch required to be accessible (i.e. maximum 6'-7" from floor to top of operating handle)?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
msteiner said:
As an alternative to a cord-and-plug connection, could I hardwire the pump to a disconnect switch above the ceiling? Or is the switch required to be accessible (i.e. maximum 6'-7" from floor to top of operating handle)?
That would be a legal installation.

404.8 Accessibility and Grouping

(A) Location All switches and circuit breakers used as switches shall be located so that they may be operated from a readily accessible place. They shall be installed such that the center of the grip of the operating handle of the switch or circuit breaker, when in its highest position, is not more than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) above the floor or working platform.

Exception No. 2: Switches and circuit breakers installed adjacent to motors, appliances, or other equipment that they supply shall be permitted to be located higher than 2.0 m (6 ft 7 in.) and to be accessible by portable means.

Roger

iwire

Staff member
msteiner said:
As an alternative to a cord-and-plug connection, could I hardwire the pump to a disconnect switch above the ceiling?

I agree with Roger yes you can do this as long as the rubber cord is eliminated.

You can not cut of the cord cap and hardwire the cord into the disconnect switch.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Don't worry, I didn't believe the salesman for a second. :) That's why I looked it up, and his "exception" isn't there.

However, I'm still not sure. Does having a cord and plug in a canopy above an access panel pass muster? This is a blower for a pneumatic tube system for a bank drive up.

If this isn't acceptable, how did they get a UL listing for the blower with a cord when you know they are going to install it in a canopy?

Steve

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
I say this every time this comes up, there should be an exception for a condensate pump for an AC unit above the ceiling. The pump will fail and need to be replaced long before the cord will.

electricman2

Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
infinity said:
I say this every time this comes up, there should be an exception for a condensate pump for an AC unit above the ceiling. The pump will fail and need to be replaced long before the cord will.

I couldn't agree more.:wink:

ron

I have a small twist on the original question.
Consider
90.7 Examination of Equipment for Safety.
.... It is the intent of this Code that factory-installed internal wiring or the construction of equipment need not be inspected at the time of installation of the equipment, except to detect alterations or damage, if the equipment has been listed by a qualified electrical testing laboratory that is recognized as having the facilities described in the preceding paragraph and that requires suitability for installation in accordance with this Code.
So if the cord and cap are inspected by a NRTL such as UL, then does it really fall within the scope of the AHJ, if they have adopted Article 90 of the NEC?
If the cord is part of listed equipment, then it is not part of the premises wiring and not required to fall within Article 400.
What do you think of this way of handling the problem?

iwire

Staff member
ron said:
What do you think of this way of handling the problem?

Interesting twist but I am not buying it.

Just because an item is listed does not make it suitable for all locations.

Perhaps if the listing was along these lines

Suitable for use in ceilings and other environmental air spaces.

You could say it's listed for the particular application.

One thing we have not touched on is that most of these pumps are made of plastic and often placed in return air type ceilings which seems to be another violation in addition to the cord.

300.22(C) Other Space Used for Environmental Air. This section applies to space used for environmental air-handling purposes other than ducts and plenums as specified in 300.22(A) and (B). It does not include habitable rooms or areas of buildings, the prime purpose of which is not air handling.

(2) Equipment. Electrical equipment with a metal enclosure, or with a nonmetallic enclosure listed for the use and having adequate fire-resistant and low-smoke-producing characteristics, and associated wiring material suitable for the ambient temperature shall be permitted to be installed in such other space unless prohibited elsewhere in this Code.

Status
Not open for further replies.