Problem or not? You make the call!

Status
Not open for further replies.

chevyx92

Lcdrwalker said:
I can't think of a code violation but it would be a pain to have both circuits trip at the same time.
Thank you for your service.
Pain? Do you expect the circuit or circuits to be tripping? No problem with the setup per NEC. As a matter of fact not far off from the 2008 code where all MWBC need the common trip breakers. He's just starting in a different way with 2 neutrals. :grin:

splinetto

Maybe there is 2 ckts on one yoke somewhere in the circuit...What if the top outlet is on one and the bottom on the other all thruoghout the kitchen....

480sparky

splinetto said:
Maybe there is 2 ckts on one yoke somewhere in the circuit...What if the top outlet is on one and the bottom on the other all thruoghout the kitchen....

How would you GFI protect them then?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
electricmanscott said:
Well, we've finally run out if things to discuss.
No we haven't. :cool:

Maybe we need Bob to find us an end-of-the-forum page.

Oh, design issue. It would certainly behave as if it were all one circuit.

frankft2000

If all I had left in the van was a two pole breaker, I would take off the handle tie. Yes if one circuit TRIPPED then they both would go down, but you could still shut off half of the circuit....I believe :)

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Lcdrwalker said:
I can't think of a code violation but it would be a pain to have both circuits trip at the same time.
I agree, if any one cares. Can't imagine why he would do something like that.

I did run across a guy who used all 3 phase 208/120 brakers for lighting circuits though. I think he thought it would be easier to turn on the lights that way, fewer handles to move.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
frankft2000 said:
If all I had left in the van was a two pole breaker, I would take off the handle tie. Yes if one circuit TRIPPED then they both would go down, but you could still shut off half of the circuit....I believe :)

Is it listed for use that way?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
wawireguy said:
I'd cite 110.12.. Hard to fight that one. Not workmanlike!

110.12 is not enforcible, and how would it be bad workmanship?

As said earlier, if both circuits landed on a single yoke, a multi pole breaker or handle ties would be required.

Roger

steelersman

wawireguy said:
I'd cite 110.12.. Hard to fight that one. Not workmanlike!
yeah I agree that if it was sited it would be hard to argue as workmanship is more of an opinion than an actual fact. There aren't any cut and dry rules for workmanship. I'd laugh in someone's face (or maybe I'd spit in it I'm not sure yet) if they claimed to me that it was unworkmanlike to do that type of installation. I mean if I stripped the wire out too far back under the breaker or knicked the conductor or something like that then they have a valid point but other than that.......

alfiesauce

Could you
1-run those same 2 circuits into one outlet
2-then place them underneath that 2 pole breaker
3-place a split receptacle on them breaking both the neutral and hot tabs of the receptacle?

Status
Not open for further replies.