how much

Status
Not open for further replies.

celtic

emahler said:
I've heard of, and dealt with, the NLRB...

however:

I'm not familiar with the NRLB, nor could I comprehend Celt's "Didn't they also some questions from..." jibberish.

So, good day..

It's not polite to pick on the dyslexic
:D

I think emahler was just busting my chops ...no harm done.

celtic

No I haven't....but sometimes I'll look at a word and be like ~ that is NOT that is spelt (spelled?).

I've never heard of "in the door" pricing before but it's something I'll keep in mind. I wonder if the $1k price tag includes new wire connectors and circuit breakers. But if the EC is selling a 200 AMP upgrade, how much could he possibly charge for a new mounting board, or light, or GFCI receptacle?

emahler

shock, simple....

200A upgrade - $1000.

oh, this is for a 20/40 Panel (type unknown), aluminum SE cable, 10 circuits, water ground within 10' of panel, etc.

you want PVC and copper?- $
you want a full size 40 ckt panel?- $
you have 20 circuits? -$

etc...

The hardest part of residential service work (and this is part of it) is getting them to call you and schedule an estimate.

once you are there, you can sell the job...you can't sell the job without being there.

emahler said:
shock, simple....

200A upgrade - $1000.

oh, this is for a 20/40 Panel (type unknown), aluminum SE cable, 10 circuits, water ground within 10' of panel, etc.

you want PVC and copper?- $
you want a full size 40 ckt panel?- $
you have 20 circuits? -$

etc...

The hardest part of residential service work (and this is part of it) is getting them to call you and schedule an estimate.

once you are there, you can sell the job...you can't sell the job without being there.

Ok, I'll play Devil's advocate...

Yes, I want RNC conduit and copper conductors.

Yes, I want a full-size Murray/ Siemens 200 AMP MB panel.

Yes, I have 24 circuits as a matter of fact.

So if we started at $1k, how much are we at now?

Edited to add: My H20 meter is on the opposite side of the basement and I have a suspended ceiling there. I'd also like a copper GEC as compared to an aluminum one.

Last edited:
I think the $1,000 deal is misleading. But what do I know? That's why I ask questions.

It's just that when I go into business for myself I want to be the EC who's charging between $2500-3000. I have no interest in being the guy doing a service for $1600. Maybe (and I'm just thinking out loud) I could offer different services with different prices to keep the customer that can't afford a $3k service. But then again I think I've experienced enough customers who are cheapskates. They're not the clientele (sp?) that I'm looking for anyway.

emahler

shock,

i don't know the whole $1000 in the door game...there are guys who are masters at it...i think they hurt the industry.

the get a false perception that we should do the job for $1000 out there to the people who don't call them.. and the get the slimy salesman contractor perception out there to the people who do call them...

it's a lose-lose for the industry. but if they know the game, they make out like bandits...

celtic

Sounds like the HD gimmick of "...any 3 devices changed for $99..." (was it $69?).

Once they get thier foot in the door...

emahler

celtic said:
Sounds like the HD gimmick of "...any 3 devices changed for $99..." (was it $69?).

Once they get thier foot in the door...

the difference there is that they did the 3 devices for $99, but they tried to upsell extra work - recessed lights, fans, outlets, etc.

here you are trying to upsell the work you basically already quoted.
does that make sense?

No, it doesn't. A 200 AMP service upgrade costs more than $1000.00. And even someone does a service for that price it's only hurting the rest of us. I'd like to think that a company doing a service at that price will be out of business in 5 years, but this particuliar company is a top-rated company according to EC&M, so I don't know what to make of it. On the surface it does not look promising.

celtic

It does make sense, but I seem to do the exact OPPOSITE...LOL, I'll be outta business by year's end ....here's an example, a few weeks back a repeat customer wanted 5 sconces swapped out; upon completion she didn't like the "color" of the actual ambient light created...some areas were green, some pink - then again, she did have some white lamps and some purple lamps ???...she also did not like the general output ~ too bright. I suggested 1st trying a lower wattage lamp (all the same color)...she insisted on a dimmer (I posted about 3-way dimmers a few weeks ago). I said "No, try the smaller wattages and decide". I have her on "hold"...still.
I am so done...LOL.

Seriously though...most times it seems I talk people out of what they want because I feel it is not neccessary - a very bad plan if I want to stay in business.

celtic

Shock, before you get too excited about the likes of T&C Elec., they do not work in NJ....and that price is in Wisconsin....I don't know what a fair price over there would be?

BUT...

That's not to say they couldn't "buy" a license from somebody looking to make a few bucks and have an impressive no-show title.

I'm guilty of that myself sometimes because I know from experience wether or not something is going to work or look right. Like if someone wanted white switches with brown outlets in a living room. In most cases that'll just look weird so what I'll do is tell them IMO that it'll look weird and I'll have to charge them to make additional changes. It's not my house but it is what I do for a living.

tallgirl

Occupation
Controls Systems firmware engineer
shockme77 said:
No, it doesn't. A 200 AMP service upgrade costs more than $1000.00. And even someone does a service for that price it's only hurting the rest of us. I'd like to think that a company doing a service at that price will be out of business in 5 years, but this particuliar company is a top-rated company according to EC&M, so I don't know what to make of it. On the surface it does not look promising.

It can make perfect sense --

You have 5 employees. On average, all 5 have work 18 out of 21 working days per month. That means you've got 15 person-days per month that you either eat, or you find a way to collect some revenue. So long as your revenue exceeds your materials and fixed expenses, you win. If a service upgrade takes 2 person days and costs you (say) $500 in material, you make $500 each time you "sell" one of the 7 service upgrade time splots you've got each month.

So long as you don't cannibalize your main business, this is a win.

emahler

celtic said:
That's not to say they couldn't "buy" a license from somebody looking to make a few bucks and have an impressive no-show title.

i got a spare one laying around...you got their number? ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.