vibration clips

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gmack

Banned
Caddy

Caddy

I dug this up at Madison Electric [www.fittings.net] The picture didn't paste but it is the same as above. We used these on a hospital for support issues. Our inspector made himself feel educated and important by manhandling horizontal runs of emt thru metal studs so as to loosen fittings/locknuts and thereby prove that electricians were not wrenching tight connectors and couplings. It was also a cheap way to claim support for a conduit near a box in some cases. Much the same as a Caddy box to conduit support bracket. They are fast to install, look good and save on strut and the like, but they are not very good "supports". But when your hanging out in the middle of a hospital corridor with hvac, mechanical, cable tray etc. They will do. The listing is below.

Category: Caddy Fasteners
Subcategory: Metal Stud Conduit And Cable Support

Metal Stud Conduit And Cable Support

Catalog
Number

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Description/Features

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Inner Carton

Master Carton

Master Weight

781E
Conduit and Cable Support
? "Anti-rattle" support for: ENT MC-AC or BX, non metallic sheath cable, EMT or rigid conduit up to 1"
? Constructed of steel, zinc plated
? UL File No. E165703

Jim W in Tampa

My project manager had sent them along with my material.When my boss (owner of company ) seen them in the delivered material he asked what they were.Never been asked by inspectors to use them.From what i can see they are just adding cost and time.Are a few places i will use some.No idea what they cost,if anything like a simple cj6 they are not cheap.Why should a cj6 cost 75 cents ?

Gmack

Banned
Caddy

Caddy

Jim, caddy clips/products make sense compared to having men "building" supports out of strut/metal studs or other things that are labor/time intensive. One I found quite useful while piping was a bat wing type clip rated to hold/support conduit to threaded rod. On this job the CM and other trades had no problem "hitching rides" so the clips described saved a boatload of time.

highkvoltage

I have had to install these only because the customer has requested them or some Architects required them. The reason is always they do not want to hear the cable rattling in the walls if the walls are bumped. Also I have had them required in office areas next to manufacturing areas because the machines vibrate the walls causing the MC to vibrate. In 25 years I have never heard then vibrate but the Architect always knows best.

Status
Not open for further replies.