Photo Cell in Panel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jim W in Tampa

Minuteman said:
That's what I figured Cavie, because some of your questions seemed odd to me.

I have thought about becoming an inspector as well. But I'm not THAT old,

I too gave it thought but, but no thanks.It is not an easy job and you will see many things that are not how you would have done it but there job is to see if it meets code.And then the even harder part is cite the code number.They dont have a lot of time to do this in.I am plenty old enough.

Cavie

The ladders, attics, and 95 degree temps don't like the body anymore. I tried the "Desk Job" with employee's. That didn't work. So it was off to Inspector land and I love it. The truck is has A/C for the 100 mile aday trips and the finals inspecs are usually A/C'd. Now if i can just get those ruff's A/C'd........

Jim W in Tampa

Cavie said:
The ladders, attics, and 95 degree temps don't like the body anymore. I tried the "Desk Job" with employee's. That didn't work. So it was off to Inspector land and I love it. The truck is has A/C for the 100 mile aday trips and the finals inspecs are usually A/C'd. Now if i can just get those ruff's A/C'd........
What county are you working that has electric on finals.Here in tampa that is seldom and when i left collier it was never on in a house.Would love it to be only 95.Last week i was in the sun all day trying to prep a parking lot for lighting.Lots of mud and sun

Cavie

Lee County has power on 95% of all jobs although not required, we ask for it and get it. I believe the City of Nort Port (Sarasota County) requires it although when I worked there the owners were lucky to have it when they moved in.

marinesgt0411

cannot get a complete CO final without power being on if power is not on at final inspector has to come back one more time with power on they likes to see things work like gfci's and if the panel schedule is correct

Jim W in Tampa

marinesgt0411 said:
cannot get a complete CO final without power being on if power is not on at final inspector has to come back one more time with power on they likes to see things work like gfci's and if the panel schedule is correct
When did collier county start this ? I left it in 99 and we could not get electric without CO first.It is a move in right direction.

allenwayne

marinesgt0411 said:
Here an electric final is totally different from a building final.We get a non powered electic (visual final) then the meter is installed as long as the polarity is correct POCO installs meter and never turns main on.If it blows its up to the EC to make it right.That`s just how it is.

Minuteman

We get 30 days temporary permanent power before electric final and complete permanent power after building final & CO. The only difference between temp and complete is POCO's paperwork.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Around here, we get a rough inspection, and if requested, a power inspection. The latter requires everything from the meter to the panel installed and wired, the entire grounding system intact, and the grounds and neutrals made up in the panel.

Plus, a single breaker in the panel supplying a GFCI-protected (by the breaker or receptacle) receptacle (for construction use, probably to avoid hanging receptacles from the panel) on a single-outlet circuit, such as the laundry or refrigerator outlet.

Jim W in Tampa

LarryFine said:
Around here, we get a rough inspection, and if requested, a power inspection. The latter requires everything from the meter to the panel installed and wired, the entire grounding system intact, and the grounds and neutrals made up in the panel.

Plus, a single breaker in the panel supplying a GFCI-protected (by the breaker or receptacle) receptacle (for construction use, probably to avoid hanging receptacles from the panel) on a single-outlet circuit, such as the laundry or refrigerator outlet.

Thats really a good way with one warning.The drywall people will remove that cover and likely not put it back on.This opens up a liability problem.

Cavie

Yes Jim, I see that all the time. I go on the job for a pool inspection and find the cover off the hot panel laying on the garage floor. It is easy to see it has been there for many days. Some day some one will be hurt and they will put a stop it.

Jim W in Tampa

Cavie said:
Yes Jim, I see that all the time. I go on the job for a pool inspection and find the cover off the hot panel laying on the garage floor. It is easy to see it has been there for many days. Some day some one will be hurt and they will put a stop it.

Collier county tried this and it got misused,It required me and GC both to sign a paper to allow it.After seeing what was happening i refused to do it.One accident like this could put you out of buisness.We also had the inspectors wanting the panel cover left off for a final (no power yet).What happened was CO got issued and power turned on.A little kid got shocked.I called the chief and covers were now put on.

bikeindy

Here we get Power right after rough inspection and we install GFCI rec in a number of rec HR's and put in switches for temp lighting put bulbs in cans and hang porcelin fixtures in other area. other trades love us and we get paid for the extra time.

hmspe

Occupation
PE
Back to the original question....

Cavie said:
Can a photo cell be mounted inside a weatherproof panel for house lighting? I've been asking for a bell box under the panel stating that the panel is not listed for the application. Am I wrong??

The real issue would be available fault current, not whether the photocell was in the panel or in a bell box. What is the panel's AIC rating? What is the rating of the photocell. This falls in the same category as having a receptacle right below the panel. If I remember correctly the rating of a typical receptacle is 2KAIC. I haven't looked, but I'd expect photocells to be the same. You'd need several feet of #12 between the breaker and the photocell to drop the AFC to below 2KA. One of the local
jurisdictions has this on their "hit list".

Martin

marinesgt0411

Jim W in Tampa said:
When did collier county start this ? I left it in 99 and we could not get electric without CO first.It is a move in right direction.

that is what I am saying without power all we can get is a partial final electrical when power is on then inspector will give the complete final electrical.

Jim W in Tampa

marinesgt0411 said:
that is what I am saying without power all we can get is a partial final electrical when power is on then inspector will give the complete final electrical.
Well when i left there the hot check was from t pole or gen..Typical house only got 2 inspections ,rough,final and no power was on.They did not return.

Status
Not open for further replies.