Who runs the wires to residential HVAC equipment?

Status
Not open for further replies.

c2500

I have run into a situation that the HVAC company expects me to run the wires from the disconnects into the machines. I told the HO I will wire them to the disconnects, but have refused to actually hook them up into the machines. (I can hear it now...the electrican is the reason your $25K worth of Trane equipment does not work.) The installer said he could hook the equipment to the wires.

Anyway, I have always had the HVAC guys run from the disconnect to the equipment. The guy I normally work with, as well as some others I know, would shoot the electrician if he attempted to hook anything up. Is this a new trend? The HVAC company is one of the larger ones we have locally. However, I have never done wiring on one of their installs.

Or, are they trying to save a bit of money by not having to supply the LFMC, fittings, and wire.

By the way, locally, HVAC folks are allowed to hook up to the disconnects.

c2500

ceb58

I have always ran from the disconnect to the HVAC and connected. In NC the HVAC guy cannot hook them up unless they have a elect. lisence. The HVAC guys will run there on control wiring from the thermostat and do there on connections. If they can legally hook the unit up from the disco. let them or charge accordingly. As far as hooking something up wrong on a residential unit it's really a no brainer just a pita sometimes.

cadpoint

c2500 said:
I have run into a situation that the HVAC company expects me to run the wires from the disconnects into the machines. I told the HO I will wire them to the disconnects, but have refused to actually hook them up into the machines. (I can hear it now...the electrican is the reason your $25K worth of Trane equipment does not work.) The installer said he could hook the equipment to the wires.

Anyway, I have always had the HVAC guys run from the disconnect to the equipment. The guy I normally work with, as well as some others I know, would shoot the electrician if he attempted to hook anything up. Is this a new trend? The HVAC company is one of the larger ones we have locally. However, I have never done wiring on one of their installs.

Or, are they trying to save a bit of money by not having to supply the LFMC, fittings, and wire.

By the way, locally, HVAC folks are allowed to hook up to the disconnects.

c2500

Didn't your basic bid on house cover this? Is this one of those missed PM moments of ID'n all the loose ends? Is the Heating load bigger there the A/C Load, granted it might be those newer combination units.
Other than that wouldn't it be an add/alternate here, or did someone just miss it? Is this a constant unknow variable (stinger) here?

On a similiar note: Had to run tempary circuit to elevator man, cause we didn't have permenant power (our fault), but he says he's not allowed to do any hook-up. Well elevator people can get a license for hooking up services, I've never ever run into a non-licensed elevator person. It wasn't so much a stinging situation as a jaw dropper...

220/221

In AZ, the electricians run the line voltage all the way to the eqipment.

HVAC guys do the low voltage and t stats.

growler

c2500 said:

The HVAC contractor is allowed to run the hook up from the disconnect in georgia.

If the installer doesn't want to do the hook up then I go ahead and do it. At least when I do the hook up you won't see any Romex fished in liquid tight. I use seal tight and stranded wire with two straps.

Nothing wrong with hooking up equipment just as long as you are paid for it. Leave disconnect and breaker in the off position and let them check out the installation. I don't turn the units on.

mdshunk

c2500 said:
I have run into a situation that the HVAC company expects me to run the wires from the disconnects into the machines. I told the HO I will wire them to the disconnects, but have refused to actually hook them up into the machines. (I can hear it now...the electrican is the reason your $25K worth of Trane equipment does not work.)
Pardon me, but I'm not sure why you're "chicken". Anybody can try to blame you for anything. Whether it's founded or not is another thing entirely. Hook the thing up and don't let it rent space in your brain.

djohns6

My sister added a central air unit to a house that she was flipping . I mounted the disconnect and ran the wires to it . The HVAC guys took it from there . I never really thought about it . I just assumed they would wire it .

mdshunk

djohns6 said:
My sister added a central air unit to a house that she was flipping . I mounted the disconnect and ran the wires to it . The HVAC guys took it from there . I never really thought about it . I just assumed they would wire it .
Some do, some don't. I'm not sure why it's even a big deal, either way.

tyha

first off, there is no way that I can think of that they would be blaming you for the unit messing up. the connection is very simple. Also, we have discussed on this forum many times about running romex through the LT. So Ithink there is your answer to if this is a new thing

Ac connections

Ac connections

In duncanville, Texas an electrician lost his license for hooking up the ac unit, but appealled to licensing board, but I dont remember if he got to keep his license, I usually hook up the ac units also. I believe it also has to do with the municipality. Also ive heard that if the hvac contractor does not like the way the ac sealtite is installed, they will report the installer to the state. This is where neat workmanlike manner is implicated.

wirebender

jlindenborn said:
In duncanville, Texas an electrician lost his license for hooking up the ac unit, but appealled to licensing board, but I dont remember if he got to keep his license, I usually hook up the ac units also. I believe it also has to do with the municipality. Also ive heard that if the hvac contractor does not like the way the ac sealtite is installed, they will report the installer to the state. This is where neat workmanlike manner is implicated.

And what is the state going to do about it? It is my understanding that at this point in time the state has no enforcement powers except for licensing. Only municipalities have enforcement power.

See this.

Last edited:

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
growler said:
The HVAC contractor is allowed to run the hook up from the disconnect in georgia.

They usually do, but not legally, the only part they can hook up without an electrical license is the controls incidental to the install. Most inspectors let it slide as we are usually not on site when they bring the compressor out. If it's not hooked up, right away it usually gets stolen. Just remember that it's on your permit, if they screw it up your still responsible for the code violations that can get your final turned down.

steelersman

growler said:

If the installer doesn't want to do the hook up then I go ahead and do it. At least when I do the hook up you won't see any Romex fished in liquid tight. I use seal tight and stranded wire with two straps.

Nothing wrong with hooking up equipment just as long as you are paid for it. Leave disconnect and breaker in the off position and let them check out the installation. I don't turn the units on.
The electrician always hooks them up in my experience. i always just use UF wire and tywrap it with the freon line. No need for liquidtite.

wawireguy

In WA the electrician is required to hook up the line voltage to the unit. In your case if it is not a requirment. I'd look at your bid and the specs you bid to.

quogueelectric

Just hook it up and charge acordingly. The only way I can see the EC from texas losing his licence is i he charged the unit with freon without a license to handle refrigerant. The unit wont run until it is charged and the low pressure gas switch is satisfied.

c2500

mdshunk said:
Pardon me, but I'm not sure why you're "chicken". Anybody can try to blame you for anything. Whether it's founded or not is another thing entirely. Hook the thing up and don't let it rent space in your brain.

Just asking a general question Marc. I'm not chicken, but then again, I met the guys that did the installation. When you have them saying that a condensate pump that is hardwired to a basement unit...and also receives condensate from an attic unit (with no wiring going to the attic unit) will know to cut off if there is a problem...it concerns me a bit. Chicken..NO....cautious....YES.

(And for those that don't follow what I am stating...if the pump safety is cut off due to an over flow...the pump will continue to receive condensate becasue the safety doesn't cut of the condensor to the attic unit...thereby resulting in the pump over flowing and flooding the basement. The HVAC tech had a wonderful BS answer to this concern.. Lets just say I hope there is never a failure with the current design.)

c2500

Last edited:

quogueelectric

c2500 said:
Just asking a general question Marc. I'm not chicken, but then again, I met the guys that did the installation. When you have them saying that a condensate pump that is hardwired to a basement unit...and also receives condensate from an attic unit (with no wiring going to the attic unit) will know to cut off if there is a problem...it concerns me a bit. Chicken..NO....cautious....YES.

(And for those that don't follow what I am stating...if the pump safety is cut off due to an over flow...the pump will continue to receive condensate becasue the safety doesn't cut of the condensor to the attic unit...thereby resulting in the pump over flowing and flooding the basement. The HVAC tech had a wonderful BS answer to this concern.. Lets just say I hope there is never a failure with the current design.)

c2500
Most units that I have done have a gravity condensate piping out of the attic running outside next to the suction and high pressure lines leading to the compressor. Only the basement should have a condenser pump to pump water out from the basement and yes they usually hook it up to whatever is available with no disconnect.

Status
Not open for further replies.