bonding and neutrals at min breaker panel.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gaston

I had posted a question regarding the connection of grounds and neutrals at main breaker panel at the same time as our nuetral is entering from the service as our grounded conductor . If any has found that thread please tell me where to look for any responses it may have received . my question is Why are we allowed to bond our grounds at the main breaker knowing that that the path to earth is tied to the neutral that will receive the returning current back to the source. :confused:

Smart $

Esteemed Member
Gaston said:
...my question is Why are we allowed to bond our grounds at the main breaker knowing that that the path to earth is tied to the neutral that will receive the returning current back to the source. :confused:
The overly-simplified answer is: All currents must to return to the source—Electricity 101—and it's best to have them return in a safe-to-personel-then-equipment manner. Intended currents from ungrounded conductors return via the loads and the neutral in line-to-neutral circuits, fault currents return via equipment grounding conductors to the bond and then via the neutral, and lightning currents return to earth ground via all available paths.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.