Service Equipment Location

Status
Not open for further replies.

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
On residence or commercial bldg it is typical to see the meter and service riser mast mounted on the structure. I have recently began to see particularly on homes, a pole mounted (temporary type)service fed underground to the home. I cannot find any code requirement that I think nails this one way or the other.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
tadavidson said:
On residence or commercial bldg it is typical to see the meter and service riser mast mounted on the structure. I have recently began to see particularly on homes, a pole mounted (temporary type)service fed underground to the home. I cannot find any code requirement that I think nails this one way or the other.
There is no code to prevent the meter from being mounted on a pole away from the building. It is fairly common-- Trailers for instance.

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Trailors I understand --Mobile-good possibility of becoming mobile, just looks bad near a non mobile structure.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
tadavidson said:
Trailors I understand --Mobile-good possibility of becoming mobile, just looks bad near a non mobile structure.
I have not done it but around here some people do it because the HO doesn't want a meter on the house. Keeps the meter reader out of the yard I guess.
edited to add--- they usually put it far from the house

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
The last two I saw that prompted this question were within 10' of the structure. looked really tacky to me. I can understand the use to get clearance above grade, but still looks (to me) cheap.

tadavidson

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
CT on utility pole then underground,very frequent on 400 amp and above. 200 amp meter disconnect underground to house then run conduit up outside of house. Not me unless for clearance issues then under protest

Status
Not open for further replies.