Estop required?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mule

I am quoting a job that has 3 motors (40hp,1hp,2hp) outside and the controller is located just inside the building through a overhead door. The equipment is a grinder/shredder that will have a human operator. While doing the walk through the maintenance man declined my suggestion to install
Estop(s) outside near the equipment. Is this a OHSA thing? who governs such a thing? is it required? I think it needs one or more.

Thanks
Mule

Mule

jmsbrush said:
Mule where have you been?

So how did that 800' trench go?

Too busy, I guess.....the trench job came in at $4400, the home owner fell over backwards.......I called the POCO as the primary runs across the front of her property. They are setting a xfrmr, and Im building a loop and running underground about 80 to 90 cir/ft with MUCH less VD! She will just have to pay min billing.

jmsbrush

Mule said:
Too busy, I guess.....the trench job came in at $4400, the home owner fell over backwards.......I called the POCO as the primary runs across the front of her property. They are setting a xfrmr, and Im building a loop and running underground about 80 to 90 cir/ft with MUCH less VD! She will just have to pay min billing.
So please tell me how many labor hours did it take total?
Including permits ,inspections ,set up and clean up

Mule

jmsbrush said:
So please tell me how many labor hours did it take total?
Including permits ,inspections ,set up and clean up

I quoted it at 24.5 for Journeyman and 19.5 for aprentice....No permits or inspections required at its location....

ceb58

Mule said:
I am quoting a job that has 3 motors (40hp,1hp,2hp) outside and the controller is located just inside the building through a overhead door. The equipment is a grinder/shredder that will have a human operator. While doing the walk through the maintenance man declined my suggestion to install
Estop(s) outside near the equipment. Is this a OHSA thing? who governs such a thing? is it required? I think it needs one or more.

Thanks
Mule

Is this new machinery or old? If it is new all safety controls should be in place or instructions to field install. It would be an OHSA call.

Mule

jmsbrush said:
I'm sorry about that? To answer you're question! Read 430.102 I think that has what you are looking for

At a glance that pertains to disconecting means. We are installing non-fused safety disconects at each motor location. Im concerned that a operator needs a Estop mushroom, I just thought it was kinda "cheezy cheap" that they didnt want to install it...maybe Im a overkill

Mule

ceb58 said:
Is this new machinery or old? If it is new all safety controls should be in place or instructions to field install. It would be an OHSA call.

Its some what old, I think its been installed and reinstalled more than once. There are no Estop existing.....

Mule

ceb58 said:

I replied to this once, dont know what happened....anyway the equipment is some what old...not estops existing.....Maybe someone has a OHSA bible !!

76nemo

Even if you think it needs an estop or five, what are you bidding on? I applaud you for looking out for the safety of the operators, and with that in mind, the maintenance guy should have no say unless he was the maintenance manager.

This may be a job that I would be willing to walk away from if the estops are truly justifed. The design is not yours. You bid on the print, and not your own design.

Mule

76nemo said:
Even if you think it needs an estop or five, what are you bidding on? I applaud you for looking out for the safety of the operators, and with that in mind, the maintenance guy should have no say unless he was the maintenance manager.

This may be a job that I would be willing to walk away from if the estops are truly justifed. The design is not yours. You bid on the print, and not your own design.

Thanks alot for the help... but sorry, no such luxuries here, not like that in smaller towns and/or projects....we are the design, and there are no prints, and osha requirements shouldnt be any more difficult than NEC's. I'll check online, maybe the verbage I need is available online, or the client should have access to it. Ultimately it will be the clients call for sure..But I dont want to do work that is not legal...thanks again for everyones comments.

billsnuff

mule

mule

i don't believe the answer you are looking for will be in 29CFR1910. 305 j 4 motors. for design issues try ANSI. i am using their std for printing presses. you should be able to google it.

Mule

billsnuff said:
i don't believe the answer you are looking for will be in 29CFR1910. 305 j 4 motors. for design issues try ANSI. i am using their std for printing presses. you should be able to google it.

Thanks, I'll turn this info to the client for sure, as previously posted, its not my responsibility. BUT I dont want the responsibility of not installing them if
indeed its reguired.

ohm

Mule said:
Thanks alot for the help... but sorry, no such luxuries here, not like that in smaller towns and/or projects....we are the design, and there are no prints, and osha requirements shouldnt be any more difficult than NEC's. I'll check online, maybe the verbage I need is available online, or the client should have access to it. Ultimately it will be the clients call for sure..But I dont want to do work that is not legal...thanks again for everyones comments.

Since you are the designer I suggest you insist on e-stops or a disconnect real close to the equipment.

Most disconnects aren't rated to interrupt a load or initiate the run without doing some damage to themselves...but if your buddy is caught in a machine ..who cares?;)

The owners will respect you taking the lead on this...but if they don't at least it will be on record that you tried.:smile:

Mule

ohm said:
Since you are the designer I suggest you insist on e-stops or a disconnect real close to the equipment.

Most disconnects aren't rated to interrupt a load or initiate the run without doing some damage to themselves...but if your buddy is caught in a machine ..who cares?;)

The owners will respect you taking the lead on this...but if they don't at least it will be on record that you tried.:smile:

The Estops will be installed...got the word today......thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.