Mounting Outlets in Wood

Status
Not open for further replies.

jimemack

Hello All...

I have a pretty simple question for you:

Is it a code violation to mount recepticles against wood, instead of wallboard? In other words, can I mount a metal box behind a wooden facing and mount a switch or outlet in it without violating code?

Thank you,
Jim

jwelectric

314.20 In Wall or Ceiling.
In walls or ceilings with a surface of concrete, tile, gypsum, plaster, or other noncombustible material, boxes employing a flush-type cover or faceplate shall be installed so that the front edge of the box, plaster ring, extension ring, or listed extender will not be set back of the finished surface more than 6 mm (? in.).
In walls and ceilings constructed of wood or other combustible surface material, boxes, plaster rings, extension rings, or listed extenders shall be flush with the finished surface or project therefrom.

bphgravity

Hire a licensed and insured electrical contractor - they will have the proper training and knowledge to perform this type of work.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
I am closing this thread, in accordance with the Forum?s rules. This Forum is intended to assist professional electricians, inspectors, engineers, and other members of the electrical industry in the performance of their job-related tasks. Although your member profile states that you have some involvement in this industry or a related industry, your question makes it clear that you are planning to perform electrical work at your own home, and that you are not an electrician. We are not permitted to provide ?how-to? assistance to a ?do-it-yourself? person.

Status
Not open for further replies.