Illuminated 3-Way switches

Status
Not open for further replies.

czars

Czars
Occupation
Florida Certified Electrical Contractor
I have a client that has a yard light which is not visible from either 3-way switch that controls it. He want an indication at both switches that will tell him whether or not the yard light is on. The neutral is present at both switches.

I have seen illuminated 3-way switches that will work at the load end of the switch string, but I have not found an illuminated 3-way switch that will provide an indication at the line end of the switch string.

Can anyone identify illuminated switches that will provide the indications needed. Illumination when on or when off is acceptable as long as both indications are the same.

iwire

Staff member
It can be done with a pair of these type switches but you will likely have to add wiring between switches.

316Q3UoPWpL._SS500_.jpg

mxslick

czars said:
<snip>
I have seen illuminated 3-way switches that will work at the load end of the switch string, but I have not found an illuminated 3-way switch that will provide an indication at the line end of the switch string.

I don't get why it would make a difference..here in my apt. I have an illuminated 3-way that is at the line end of my back porch light run and it works fine. It's an older neon style.

I also have two illuminated three-ways in my garage on the flourescent lights that both work just fine.

These have green LED's in them, and I think they're Levitons or Coopers.

Edited to add: These provide illumination when the load is OFF. Iwire's suggestion would work well if you need positive indication of the load being ON.

If you're referring to the instructions that say use only on the load end, perhaps it's a CYA by the mfg'r? Electrically I see no reason why it would matter and that is proven out by my real-world examples above.

I'd try the switches first before going through any rewiring.

But be very sure the common terminal is connected correctly at both ends, I can see how a miswire could make the indicators not work...

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
mxslick said:
If you're referring to the instructions that say use only on the load end, perhaps it's a CYA by the mfg'r? Electrically I see no reason why it would matter and that is proven out by my real-world examples above.

Are we professionals or DIYs?

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Years ago, I received a similar request about a detached garage interior light, controllable from both the house and the garage via 3-ways. I remembered something I had read years before that in Popular Electronics magazine.

This can be installed at either or both ends, or even where one or more 4-ways are used, it also illuminates when the light is off, and it doubles as a burned-out bulb indicator, too, because it depends on the bulb filament.

Place two 100K resistors in series, connect each end to one of the travelers, and connect the center junction to one wire of an NE-2 neon bulb. The other wire of the bulb simply connects to the circuit neutral.

It works because, when the light is switched off, the two resistors are in series with the load, placing the junction of the resistors at 60 volts, too low to fire the neon bulb. When the light is on, or burns out, no neon.

Of course, you have to find a way to physically mount the resistors and neon bulb. In my case, I drilled a 1/8" hole in the brass switch plate, and the neon wires were stiff enough to keep the bulb behind the drilled hole.

iwire

Staff member
When I am on the clock I use standard methods with purpose built and listed equipment. IMO that is what the customer is paying for, it is also what the company I work for expects.

In my own home, I would have no problem tinkering and making something work. :cool:

TOOL_5150

Leviton 1463-GLW is your answer. You can wire it at either end [shows it on the wiring diagram] and provides a little green light when the load is off. When the load is on, the indicator turns off. I know for a fact it works just fine on flourescent lights, as well as regualr incandesent.

~Matt

mxslick

iwire said:
Are we professionals or DIYs?

LOL Did something I said give you any doubts? :)

TOOL_5150 said:
Leviton 1463-GLW is your answer. You can wire it at either end [shows it on the wiring diagram] and provides a little green light when the load is off. When the load is on, the indicator turns off. I know for a fact it works just fine on flourescent lights, as well as regualr incandesent.

Bingo!! That's the one I used.. as you said, works great.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
ronaldrc said:
Larry

What about just hooking the neons across the traveler terminals works just the same no neutral or resistors needed. :)
My bad, I misspoke. The one I described will have the neon light on when the load is on. More instinctive.

Status
Not open for further replies.