How do you interpret Aritcle 400.7(B)

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahualin

I have a project with a meat preparation cooler. A machine needs a three phase receptacle drop at 5' AFF from ceiling. The receptacle is a twist-lock type. I understand we need another flexible cord with twist-lock type attachment plug to plug in the receptacle. My question is if the flexible cord dropped from ceiling needs an attachment plug to meet article 400.7(B) or they can be hard-wired into a junction box at ceiling. I am not quite sure about this. Thanks.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
dahualin said:
I have a project with a meat preparation cooler. A machine needs a three phase receptacle drop at 5' AFF from ceiling. The receptacle is a twist-lock type. I understand we need another flexible cord with twist-lock type attachment plug to plug in the receptacle. My question is if the flexible cord dropped from ceiling needs an attachment plug to meet article 400.7(B) or they can be hard-wired into a junction box at ceiling. I am not quite sure about this. Thanks.

The cord cannot penetrate into the dropped ceiling. As long as the cord is exposed all the way into the jb then you are good to go.

dahualin

I know the flexible cord cannot installed above dropped ceiling. I am not quite sure if we can hard-wire the flexible cord (the drop) to junction box at ceiling. The Article 400.7(B) mentions each flexible cord shall be equipped with an attachment plug and shall be energized from a receptacle outlet. Thanks.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Dennis Alwon said:
The cord cannot penetrate into the dropped ceiling. As long as the cord is exposed all the way into the jb then you are good to go.
Are you saying we can run a cord through a cable-clamp and wire-nut the wires to the building wires?

benaround

David Lin,

Google 'pendant receptical' , find the thread for the Electrical Saftey Committe

' interpertation of P.R.'s' , They say they are OK, but don't like them !!

The date was march 2008.

I have always had a hard time with this installation, by thinking that (B)

required the supply recpt. on that note I'll say thanks for this thread as it

finally cleared it up for me.

SEO

Are you asking if a cord can be wired into a box attached to the ceiling and dropped down to a 5' height and install an attachment plug? I think the others are looking at section 400.8 thinking that you are running thru a ceiling?

dahualin

SEO said:
Are you asking if a cord can be wired into a box attached to the ceiling and dropped down to a 5' height and install an attachment plug?

Yes, I am asking if a cord can be hard-wired into a box attached to the ceiling. The other end of the cord is a pendant twist-type receptacle.

benaround

dahualin said:
Yes, I am asking if a cord can be hard-wired into a box attached to the ceiling. The other end of the cord is a pendant twist-type receptacle.

David, The answer is yes, 400.7(A)(1)= pendants

400.7(B) only applys to (A)(3), (A)(6), and (A)(8)

cadpoint

Take a look at 406.4 at Mike Holts web page, on the left side under Video and Graphics, 2005', go to 406.4. I'm sure some of the others code article with pictures are there as well.

Maybe it should be a cast box for the Freezer ?
Don't forget to use Seal Off's.. :roll:

dnem

benaround said:
David, The answer is yes, 400.7(A)(1)= pendants

400.7(B) only applys to (A)(3), (A)(6), and (A)(8)

Yes, look at those specifics
400.7(A)(3) uses the word "portable"
400.7(A)(6) uses the words "frequent interchange"
400.7(A)(8) uses the words "ready removal"

What 400.7(B) is telling you is not that a plug-in is required. . It's pointing to the situations where a plug-in is "used as permitted" and is telling you that what is required is a male plug end on the cord and a female receptacle end on the energized outlet.

This is in agreement with 406.4(F) + 406.6(B) and addresses exposed energized blades.

benaround

David,

Thank you for that explanation of 400.7(B), I have not seen it that way for

years, and to back up my ill thoughts on this subject have had EE's point to

this 400.7(B) to prove a 'detail' on the prints, and that of course was a recpt.

above to supply the cord drop ( not hardwired ).

This is good, I can look at it in a different way now. As for the OP, the recpt.

pendant can be hardwired into the surface box on the cieling and I'm sure he

would like to hear it from you also. again, thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.