Intermatic Residential Timer

Status
Not open for further replies.

tohatsu

I just purchased a single pole wall switch timer to install for one of my customers.The question that I have is on the directions they state that you shouldn't use this with compact fluorescent ballasts.The homeowner wants to use these mini fluorescent bulbs that would replace a 75 watt incadescent bulb.Is that what they mean as compact ballast.If so why couldn't I use them how can they damage this switch?
Rick

tohatsu

Bob I'm sure that it does have solid state contacts but how can using an electronic ballast damage the switch?That's what I don't understand.
Thanks Rick

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Almost every 2-wire timer/dimmer/remote switch uses what's called 'trickle current' through the load to power the circuitry inside the device, and depend on that load being simply resistive.

Many non-resistive loads, especially motors and dimmer-equipped lamps, do not pass the sine wave 'unbroken' enough to reliably power the inetrnal circuit, and may not function.

The best advice for fluorescent loads is to find a device that uses contacts, as opposed to a triac or other solid-state component, to switch/control the load.

gndrod

Hi Rick, CFL's are low temp sensitive. They will burn out if not protected in a rated luminaire for below freezing environment. Check lamp to see if it is rated for outdoor use. rbj, Seattle

My sister's outside wall sconces are controlled by an Intermatic single pole wall switch timer. She installed the compact fluorescent lamps in those fixtures. Then told me that she needed me to reprogram the timer. I couldn't get it to work unless I had at least one incandescent lamp in one of the fixtures.
Ron

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
77401 said:
If you get the SS8 it will work with any fluorescent lamp or fixture.

As it should: the timer circuitry is powered by battery, and the power control is contacts, not a triac.

Status
Not open for further replies.