Is this being served...

Status
Not open for further replies.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
Relating to another thread on whether a structure is being "served" or not, how would you judge this:

I have a pool building with a feeder supplying power to it. No question the feeder is serving the building.

Now I have a pool heat pump outside of this building. I want to run a separate branch circuit to the heat pump from a different building. This should be fine except I want to mount the heat pump disconnect on the outside of the pool building. Is this OK, or would you now consider the pool building being served by both a feeder and a branch circuit (violation)?

To me, the pool building is only holding up the disconnect, and nothing from that disconnect enters the pool building. It seems silly to mount a separate post a few inches from the building just to have an isolated structure to hold the disconnect.

suemarkp said:
Relating to another thread on whether a structure is being "served" or not, how would you judge this:

I have a pool building with a feeder supplying power to it. No question the feeder is serving the building.

Now I have a pool heat pump outside of this building. I want to run a separate branch circuit to the heat pump from a different building. This should be fine except I want to mount the heat pump disconnect on the outside of the pool building. Is this OK, or would you now consider the pool building being served by both a feeder and a branch circuit (violation)?

To me, the pool building is only holding up the disconnect, and nothing from that disconnect enters the pool building. It seems silly to mount a separate post a few inches from the building just to have an isolated structure to hold the disconnect.
being
I dont see it being served by the branch circuit. But i am curious as to why do you need o run another one?? Is there not enough power/circuits to power this pump from this building??

It is an odd setup, but if you do it this way, I would be sure to CLEARLY lable it on how its fed.

suemarkp

Occupation
Retired Engineer
The feeder to the pool building would need to be larger than what is there now. A complicating factor is that the source of that feeder is from a panel which can be supplied from an optional standby source, and that panel, feeder and transfer switch are limited to 100A total. The heat pump will push the load over 100A, so a bunch of things would have to be replace and there is no need for pool heat when on generator power (but do need pool circulation pumps when on generator power)

I could also perhaps say the pool feeder and branch circuit have "different characteristics" since the feeder is sometimes optional standby and the heater branch circuit is not. That is one of the exceptions to the "one source per structure" rule. But it may be a weak argument since the optional standby part of the feeder is really another one upstream.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
The building is not being served by the feeder, it is Serving as a support for the feeder.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I agree with everyone on this and I better since it was my thread , I believe, that Mark was talkimg about. The heat pump is not entering the building with a heat source for the structure thus it is not feeding the building. I would however do some permanent marking on the disco to show where the feed originates

Status
Not open for further replies.