What makes a Lighting System a System?

Status
Not open for further replies.

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
Re: What makes a Lighting System a System?

Originally posted by ryan_618:
What is a chpater 4 wiring method?
A boxed landscape lighting kit comes with a hank of "underground low energy circuit cable sunlight resistant 60?C 150V" two conductor cable with an "E" number that leads to UL Category Code ZMHX, Wire, Special Purpose.

When installed in locations that are not prohibited by 411.4(A) or 411.4(B), the landscape lighting system cable is a Chapter 4 wiring method.

300.1(A)

Ryan,

What section can you point to in support of your statement:
Originally posted by ryan_618:
Remember that this is a chapter 4 rule, and nothing modifies the general rules of chapter three in it. 90.3
??

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer

I mean,

90.3 calls Chapter 4 a "general rules" chapter, including Chapter 4 with 1,2 & 3.

Is 3 more "general" than 4? I don't see that in the language of 90.3.

mhulbert

It looks like the transformer Ryan posted does not have a secondary OCPD...am I correct in this observation???

If so, this, along with the open splices, is a huge contributing factor to starting a fire!

mike

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
If I take a 12VAC Class 2 transformer, hack the end off the cord, put it in a box, run 18-2 to a puck light, hack the cord off the puck, hardwire it to the 18-2, shove the splice against the wall above the puck, how many codes have I violated?

Does anyone know of a 120V or a 12V puck that's designed and listed for direct wire?

Has anyone else noticed what a convoluted bunny trail 725.52 starts? It's no wonder <30V installations get hacked together. It's impossible to read! :?

Status
Not open for further replies.