250.32 (A) Exception

Status
Not open for further replies.

Legrand

I am just trying to figure out when a ground rod is required at an outbuilding. I guess that I don't understand the "including a multiwire branch circuit". Does this mean that if I run 4wire 240v to the outbuilding that I don't have to drive the ground rod? I'm confused.

raider1

Staff member
If you run only a 4 wire 240/120 volt branch circuit to a detached structure then you would not need a grouding electrode installed at the structure.

But if you install a 4 wire feeder to the building then you must install a grounding electrode at the building.

Chris

Legrand

So, if I were to install a 40a 2sp panel then I would have to drive a ground rod, but if I were going directly to the load, say a dryer then I wouldn't have to drive the rod? Is that the difference between feeder and branch?
Thanks Chris

raider1

Staff member
Legrand said:
So, if I were to install a 40a 2sp panel then I would have to drive a ground rod, but if I were going directly to the load, say a dryer then I wouldn't have to drive the rod? Is that the difference between feeder and branch?
Thanks Chris

Basically yes.

Here is the definition of branch circuit:

Branch Circuit. The circuit conductors between the final overcurrent device protecting the circuit and the outlet(s).

And here is the definition of feeder:

Feeder. All circuit conductors between the service equipment, the source of a separately derived system, or other power supply source and the final branch-circuit overcurrent device.

Chris

Legrand

Thanks man I been arguing this with my boss (owner of the company, Electrical contractor) and two other journeyman, I'm the apprentice and they're just not having it so I guess we won't be driving the rod for the feeders. That's ok, now I know what the code says and for personal satisfaction HA HA I was right.

Thanks Chris

raider1

Staff member
Your very welcome.:)

Glad I could help you. Its too bad your boss and the journeymen can't see what the code says.

Oh well, at least you know what the code says.

It amazes me how sometimes people who have been in the trade for a while feel they know everything about the code and refuse to read it.

Chris

Cavie

Legrand said:
Thanks man I been arguing this with my boss (owner of the company, Electrical contractor) and two other journeyman, I'm the apprentice and they're just not having it so I guess we won't be driving the rod for the feeders. That's ok, now I know what the code says and for personal satisfaction HA HA I was right.

Thanks Chris

Show them this site

Legrand

I don't think I can even bring the subject up anymore Cavie, but I would still like to check out the site for myself but there's no link.

Thanks Lee

Cavie

Legrand said:
I don't think I can even bring the subject up anymore Cavie, but I would still like to check out the site for myself but there's no link.

Thanks Lee

I ment this forum and this thread

Status
Not open for further replies.