Time Tracking Ideas

Status
Not open for further replies.

iwire

Staff member
Anyone have some good ideas for time tracking that will not involve buying an expensive program?

We are starting a fairly large solar project and we have no existing actuals on this kind of work.

One of my responsibilities will be to keep very detailed notes / logs of each days production broken out into as many tasks as practical. My plan now is to make some excel spread sheets but as this is new to me I am not really sure how I should set them up.

Anyway I would be glad to hear any ideas at all. :smile:

cadpoint

JMO, with a twist!

JMO, with a twist!

I wanted to say look at task studies, but a quick search and light reading is a mostly a study of someone going through the motions in there daily work routine.

Then theres time Study, which is basically studying how much time is takes to creat and finish a task. This is really more of where you'll need to be, but remember that you have to account for the "Task".

I suggest a consideration a combination of both with a twist, 80% of your job is still basic electrical work. Someone going to run, conduit, wires, terminate, etc
You have case histoy on time on all this work,(well most companies per bidding and case history Do) terrmating panels, line to lines, out to service points, etc, etc

The other 20% is the solor Panel side of the Job. Someone got to magage the arrangements, someone will move them, mount them, and Terminate them as well. The termination could be as simple as compared to a device or a disconnect in an accounting of time.

Your bank of panels, sub-panels, MDP, Meters based and even the invertor could all have known electrical time requirements.

My opinion is that if you keep the electrical side seperate right up to dealing with the solor panels. which is more the unknow here.
When one is dealing "with the Panel" have a time alottment ((or note the Time it takes)) for that task.

If you have an accounting method of what everyone is doing per their work assignment the numbers will come in correctly. There should be no misc Time Acounting, everything should have some type of accounting.
Like site work construction lights, general trailor wiring, alot of tasks are one shot, but still make some amount of time for a task.

Beside that you'r be the only one saying "I was misc" (admin) in your time cause you'll be staging this dance, and probably be everywhere all day!

The workers need to understand the differences in their daily "Time is Takes Accounting". It should be complex enough to account for thier work but simple enough for an 8th grader to understand it.

They need to only mark in time doing X,Y,Z application, electrical to Phase 1, phase 2, of Job. Then the Solor panel side using the accounting there of the time, Phase 1, phase 2, etc...

Theres plenty of free stuff via you favorite search engine.

Last edited:

satcom

iwire said:
Anyone have some good ideas for time tracking that will not involve buying an expensive program?

We are starting a fairly large solar project and we have no existing actuals on this kind of work.

One of my responsibilities will be to keep very detailed notes / logs of each days production broken out into as many tasks as practical. My plan now is to make some excel spread sheets but as this is new to me I am not really sure how I should set them up.

Anyway I would be glad to hear any ideas at all. :smile:

Bob,

Time and motion records, are great for repeat assy work, but not much use in construction projects, detail records, of site conditions, will have more value in the long term, was the staging of material and panels, efficent for this project, if not why? Did you need to make changes in the existing supports?
Notes, and records on these issues, will assure good actual records.
An index, set up with task/condition will sure help.

Last edited:

iwire

Staff member
satcom said:
detail records, of site conditions, will have more value in the long term, was the staging of material and panels, efficent for this project, if not why?

Thats the plan, in my limited expertise I estimate about50% of the man hours will be used up material handling. I want some real figures.

We have 2600 panels and the associated materials being spread out over 7 roofs of varying heights on a single building. Correctly staging that material will be critical to efficient production.

Status
Not open for further replies.