Point of attachment

Status
Not open for further replies.

Buck Parrish

The poco's point of attachment to the house. Can this be above the weather head at all?

I have a situation two stories up. I am changing a service.
The point of attachment is now above the weather head.
It is a good solid attachment. To go higher I would have to go through the eve. I am already about 30 ft high.
I'd like to stay under the eve so I can use pvc.

charlie

The poco's point of attachment to the house. Can this be above the weather head at all? . .
230.54(C) Service Heads and Goosenecks Above Service-Drop Attachment. Service heads and goosenecks in service-entrance cables shall be located above the point of attachment of the service-drop conductors to the building or other structure.

Exception: Where it is impracticable to locate the service head or gooseneck above the point of attachment, the service head or gooseneck location shall be permitted not farther than 600 mm (24 in.) from the point of attachment.
You are also required to meet the serving electric utility's service requirements.

ceb58

The poco's point of attachment to the house. Can this be above the weather head at all?

I have a situation two stories up. I am changing a service.
The point of attachment is now above the weather head.
It is a good solid attachment. To go higher I would have to go through the eve. I am already about 30 ft high.
I'd like to stay under the eve so I can use pvc.

I have never had a problem with the point of attachment being above the weather-head. I leave about 16" of wire out of head with the goose-neck bent in the wire, poco then makes their connection which is below the weather-head.

Mule

I have never had a problem with the point of attachment being above the weather-head. I leave about 16" of wire out of head with the goose-neck bent in the wire, poco then makes their connection which is below the weather-head.

Yep, as long as you have your clearances, a good drip loop, looks like it would be ok....

I have never built a riser out of PVC

stickboy1375

Yep, as long as you have your clearances, a good drip loop, looks like it would be ok....

I have never built a riser out of PVC

depends on where you live and your annual rain fall, it would certainly be a problem around here. Rain is incredible at sticking to a material.

ctmike

I dont see what that has to do with the pvc that is the reason for the drip lop and imo the biggest with seu cable the water folling the strands of the neutral on some improper installations

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
The point of attachment is required to be below the weather head or gooseneck. IMO the use of the exception that Charlie posted is nearly impossible due to the wording of the exception, specifically the word "impracticable".

If anyone is wondering, a gooseneck is used on SE cable in lieu of a weatherhead. It's usually made up of tape and paint.

iwire

Staff member
IMO the use of the exception that Charlie posted is nearly impossible due to the wording of the exception, specifically the word "impracticable".

Good point, "impracticable" means imposable.

It is not the same word as Impractical which means difficult

Status
Not open for further replies.