Man electrocuted while working on building

Status
Not open for further replies.

jtester

georgestolz said:
That is really, really sad.

I wonder about the size of the building they were working on? The NESC calls for 18' of clearance, doesn't it?

NESC clearances for voltages up to 22kv can be as low as 4.5' horizontal under certain conditions. While this accident is truly sad, many of these accidents are a result of worker inattention or violation of OSHA rules, as much as or more than they are the result of a utility's improper installation.

Jim T

tkb

I saw news footage on TV last night after I posted the link.
While tragic, this was a very avoidable accident.

It was reported that an unlicensed, uninsured siding contractor without a building permit was doing a siding job on the front of a three story house type building with businesses on the first floor.

The power poles were about 6' from the front and had 3 phase 13.8kv primary on cross arms with bare conductors at the same level as the roof.

A piece of the aluminum about 6? wide came in contact with the primary line and killed one person and injured another. This also started a fire, melted the scaffold legs and trapped two more workers on the roof.

I guess the fault lasted for a couple of minutes.

It was reported that another contractor was siding another part of the building. This contractor contacted the power company and had the secondary service drop covered (with the insulated conductors) with the orange sleeves before he started his project.

The contractor that was doing the front did not call the power company to have the BARE primary covered.

paul hodge

wow

wow

Too many contractors are money driven, with too many eager workers that are untrained. WOW...My thoughts are on the families of the workers...Everyday is a great day that I get to sit around with the wife and kids, after a day of electrical work.

NoVA Comms Power

tkb said:
... The power poles were about 6' from the front and had 3 phase 13.8kv primary on cross arms with bare conductors at the same level as the roof ...
That's is a fairly typical clearance in some old, long-established, in-town areas. (I once owned a 150+ year-old house in Newport RI w/ about the same clearance from the bare-conductor utility)

Given the close proximities, I've always thought it amazing that we don't hear of these tragedies more often.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.