Lighting control motion detectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

mshields

I have a client who uses Sensor switch CMR-PDT ceiling mounted motion detectors. These have passive infrared technology and something they call Microphonics technology. i.e. dual technology. We are debating on whether or not to use these in some new offices we are doing.

I have used Watt Stopper DR-200 technology in the past without complaint. I'd be interested in any experiences you've had with these two products so that I can recommend the most reliable to my client.

By the way, the CMR-PDT is a line voltage device. Is there any advantage to going with a low voltage device and having to worry about the additional components?

What about the Watt Stopper W series. Is that better or worse than the DR-200?

thanks,

Mike

Last edited:

mdshunk

For me and my house, I let others experiment with stuff, and I stay with what's either proven over time, or easily investigated. I've had such overwhelmingly good luck with the Watt Stopper stuff (P&S), that I'd be scared to do it any other way.

K2X

I helped put in the CMR type sensors in a school district but ours were low volt off a transformer /relay. I guess the advantage was that we could throw low volt wire to the sensors but of course it was line volt to the switches. As i remember once we got the programing down they were not too bad. There was an issue of finding a constant hot over a switched hot but they will work on a switched hot but for some reason, i can't remember, we prefered the constant hot to the transformer and the sensor. The wall switch would shut off the lights either way but not the sensor. The one thing i noticed was that as long as the lights were on, and the wall switch could turn them off, a teacher was unlikely to notice if the units were working properly. The sensors worked great and the sound sensor worked great too. ..I think a "turn off the lights when your done" sign would work as well.

mshields

Much Appreciated

Much Appreciated

Mark - Any particular technology on the Watt Stopper. i.e. W series or the other one I mentioned?

Thanks again

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
We have a lot of customers that use Sensor Switch, generally have had good results. They are made in the US, which is a plus, been to their factory. They test every one of them before they go out the door. Quite a few options available, such as light level adjustments, being able to turn on or off the microphone, which works well in cubicle areas where movement is not always seen.

Status
Not open for further replies.