GEC question in Iwire's pic

Status
Not open for further replies.

mark32

Dennis8.jpg

You might have seen this pic on another thread, my question deals with the different ways one could run their GEC in this setup. (It was said the feeder in this pic is rated between 225 and 250 amp and inside are 6 100 amp main panels) So, assuming a 250 amp (4/0 copper) feeder, how would you install your GEC's in this scenario, specifically speaking, would you use a trough and run a tap to each panel or some other method?

iwire

Staff member
If I recall he had size 100 amp main breaker panels side by side and did something like this.

(Ignore the line side, he had separate service conductors to each and replace the safety switches for main breaker panels)

GECtaps.JPG

peter d

That is a very hack service.

I'm just kidding. I actually used to work with the foreman that built it, and that's how we typically do those 'round here.

mdshunk

I would have used silicone rather than duct seal. Duct seal has the unfortunate tendency to dry out in a few short years. Better yet a sealing locknut and silicone.
That is a sealing locknut under there. I zoomed in on the picture and took the duct seal off and checked.

iwire

Staff member
That is a very hack service.

Yes, what could you expect for a side job?:grin:

I am sure the fact that my buddy is licensed, carries insurance pulled a permit, had it inspected and eliminated many electrical hazards inside the building will not matter. :wink:

peter d

Yes, what could you expect for a side job?:grin:

I am sure the fact that my buddy is licensed, carries insurance pulled a permit, had it inspected and eliminated many electrical hazards inside the building will not matter. :wink:

You did see the part where I said I was kidding, right? :confused:

iwire

Staff member
I don't use them....waste of time. They are too much of a pain to bend the cable to get them to fit, and they don't accomplish anything that some silicone can't handle.

I consider them just to be a trim fitting to cover the ragged holes that are often made for SE cables.

Status
Not open for further replies.