Contractor finds 200k in cash in a wall of reno

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years ago, a family sold their father's home, he had passed away and they lived in another state. They sold the house "As Is".

Well it turns out that their father (a retired plumber) had stashed his cash all over the house, his piano, stove, dryer, etc...

The new owners found the money, as was enevitable - about $150,000. The original family sued for the money but lost. The house being sold as is was the clincher for the new homeowners...more than they paid for the house. :cool::D

Podagrower

Absolutly, positively, without a doubt-I would give the homeowner the 100K I found:D

I'm sure I would give it to the homeowner as well, but I wanted to say I'd keep it first

tonyou812

I would just give it to the homeowner. Its hers to begin with, regardless if someone else acually found it. She owns the house that includes the stuff in the walls. About a year ago I found a bunch of New York Times newspapers in a wall from when Neil Armstrong walked on the moon and I showed it to the homeowner and she just went "Oh thats nice, You can have them what am I gonna do with them.". I was thrilled being that I am a big space buff. They really arent worth much monetaraly, but the thought never crossed my mind to try to walk out of the house with them.
I would do the same even if it was cash. My parents didnt raise me that way.
I think that contractor had a lot of nerve asking for 40 percent.

220/221

It would hurt but in this case, I'd have to give it up to the family.

If I found some drug money it would be a different story.

resistance

If I found some drug money it would be a different story.
???? In the HO's house, or on the street???

If it's in the HO's house, then the honesty still stands!

How would you know it's drug money?

tonyou812

I seem to have a knack for finding some really interesting things just laying around in peoples homes. Ive come across Pot stashes, a few guns, naked drawings of the Wife, some sex toys,big wads of cash you name it. For some reason people think that the tops of dressers or behind night stands are a good hiding spot for stuff. Im sure they put them there and forget. But my favorite was one time I was snaking a wire in a basement and I pushed my fiber snake over some air ducts and a bunch of papers fell to the floor on the other side. so I went over to pick them up and they were about 20 or so drawings of the guys wife doing some "Dirty" stuff. I could feel my face start to blush and quickly put them back and looked for a different route to run my wires. From then on every time I saw the lady I couldnt help and smirke a little.

But let me add I dont look for stuff I just happen to see them when Im on a ladder cutting in lights or cans or moving some furniture to add an outlet or what ever.

I will just leave this wad of cash to the HO and let them decided what to do with it.

The last time I found wad of cash it was about 10K and the HO split in half I told the HO it your due it was in the building and he say it fair due I am very honest with it.

Merci,Marc

ivsenroute

This came up in another non-contractor forum and my opinion is still the same. The money belongs to the homeowner and the contractor has no stake in the claim at all. I would have handed the money over with no further requests.

satcom

This came up in another non-contractor forum and my opinion is still the same. The money belongs to the homeowner and the contractor has no stake in the claim at all. I would have handed the money over with no further requests.

But he may be a Banker, moonlighting as a contractor, so Greed is in his DNA

quogueelectric

I returned a wallet with 3600 in cash a tennis pro in WestHampton and he looked at me like I owed him money when he came to get his wallet didnt offer a dime. No good deed goes unpunished. I would do the same today but I would probably do a little fishing before I handed it it right back. Make them think about it for a day or so .

Status
Not open for further replies.