hydromassage bathtub recetpacle

Status
Not open for further replies.

bphgravity

Does 210.11(C)(3) prohibit the receptacle outlet installed for the hydromassage bathtub from being supplied from the required bathroom branch circuit or does this section provide the permission?

jwelectric

Re: hydromassage bathtub recetpacle

bphgravity said:
Does 210.11(C)(3) prohibit the receptacle outlet installed for the hydromassage bathtub from being supplied from the required bathroom branch circuit or does this section provide the permission?

210.23(B)

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
IMO, 210.11(C)(3) Exception providing the link to 210.23(A)(2) gives the guideline to meet to get permission. That is, if the motor load is 50%, or less, of the ampere rating of the branch circuit ( 10 A ), and there are not other extenuating circumstances, then, yes.

bphgravity

For this particular instalaltion, the 20A circuit supplies more than one bathroom so the exception does not apply.

I understand the 20A circuit is permitted to serveall receptacles in as many bathrooms as desired, however I am not sure the intent was for a recetpacle installed for a dedicated appliance like a hydromassage tub.

I do suppose if the requirements of 210.23 are met, the installation should be fine...

al hildenbrand

Occupation
Electrical Contractor, Electrical Consultant, Electrical Engineer
210.11 Branch Circuits Required
(C) Dwelling Units

(3) Bathroom Branch Circuits
In addition to the number of branch circuits required by other parts of this section, at least one 20-ampere branch circuit shall be provided to supply bathroom receptacle outlet(s). Such circuits shall have no other outlets.
I don't see a way to differentiate between the receptacle outlet(s) of the hydromassage bathtub and the rest of the receptacle outlet(s) in the bathrooms.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
But if you put both on the same circuit, the breaker might trip if someone needs to dry their hair while sitting in the massage tub. :lol:

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.