legally required standby

Status
Not open for further replies.

FRERUCHA

The AHJ on my job says that aircraft warning lights are not legally required lighting and unless I can show him an FAA regulation, it needs to be on normal power. This is a 20 story near an airport. Where could I find this information.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
Re: legally required standby

FRERUCHA said:
The AHJ on my job says that aircraft warning lights are not legally required lighting and unless I can show him an FAA regulation, it needs to be on normal power. This is a 20 story near an airport. Where could I find this information.

One would be inclined to think that such an installation would require engineering plans. If so, this kind of battle would more appropriately be fought between the engineer nd the AHJ, and not the EC and AHJ.

ryan_618

IBC 412.1.5 requires standby power for lighting in air traffic control towers over 65' in height. Sounds like you have a legally required standby system...if your adopted building code is the IBC.

DGrant041

From what I've seen, you need to check with the airport. If your 20 story building is in THEIR air space, they'll give you the requirement. These designations are engineered to be airport specific for the type of aircraft that land there.

Best of luck. :roll:

sandsnow

ryan_618 said:
IBC 412.1.5 requires standby power for lighting in air traffic control towers over 65' in height. Sounds like you have a legally required standby system...if your adopted building code is the IBC.

Ryan
I think the OP is talking about an office bldg near an airport, not a control tower.

We are going through the same thing in my city. Engineers want to put things on the emergency system(including aircraft warning lights) that are not identified in the bldg code('97 UBC). We have started requiring submisson of the code or regulation that requires such. Otherwise it is put on the optional standby system.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
sandsnow said:
ryan_618 said:

Ryan
I think the OP is talking about an office bldg near an airport, not a control tower.

We are going through the same thing in my city. Engineers want to put things on the emergency system(including aircraft warning lights) that are not identified in the bldg code('97 UBC). We have started requiring submisson of the code or regulation that requires such. Otherwise it is put on the optional standby system.

Isn't optional standby equipment permitted on the required standby system if the generator is capable of carrying the entire connected load?

sandsnow

infinity said:
Isn't optional standby equipment permitted on the required standby system if the generator is capable of carrying the entire connected load?

LRS system wiring shall be permitted to occupy the same enclosures ..... as normal wiring. 701.10

Kind of open to interpretaion. It does not say it has to be two different systems. It does not say it has to be on a different transfer switch.

700.6(D) requires a seperate XFR switch, but 701 does not.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
But in reading 700.5(B) it says:

(B) Selective Load Pickup, Load Shedding, and Peak Load Shaving. The alternate power source shall be permitted to supply emergency, legally required standby, and optional standby system loads where the source has adequate capacity or where automatic selective load pickup and load shedding is provided as needed to ensure adequate power to (1) the emergency circuits, (2) the legally required standby circuits, and (3) the optional standby circuits, in that order of priority. The alternate power source shall be permitted to be used for peak load shaving, provided these conditions are met.

So could a generator used for a legally required system still supply loads that were of the optional standby type?

DGrant041

Hey, I've got one more. . .

701.2 Definition

Legally Required Standby Systems. Those systems required and so classed as legally required standby by municipal, state, federal, or other codes or by any governmental agency having jurisdiction. These systems are intended to automatically supply power to selected loads (other than those classed as emergency systems) in the event of failure of the normal source.

FPN: Legally required standby systems are typically installed to serve loads, such as heating and refrigeration systems, communications systems, ventilation and smoke removal systems, sewage disposal, lighting systems, and industrial processes, that, when stopped during any interruption of the normal electrical supply, could create hazards or hamper rescue or fire-fighting operations.

So lets say part of the grid loses power for any number of reasons that they always do and all the airport lights come back-up so Joe Flyboy comes in to land his Cessna. The tower says "come on in but WATCH OUT FOR THAT TWENTY STORY BUILDING THAT DOESN'T HAVE ITS LIGHTS O. . .uh, well. . .never mind. . .

Again, my vote is with the airport. I bet they would like the lights to stay on, IMO.
:lol:

Dale

sandsnow

infinity said:
But in reading 700.5(B) it says:

(B) Selective Load Pickup, Load Shedding, and Peak Load Shaving. The alternate power source shall be permitted to supply emergency, legally required standby, and optional standby system loads where the source has adequate capacity or where automatic selective load pickup and load shedding is provided as needed to ensure adequate power to (1) the emergency circuits, (2) the legally required standby circuits, and (3) the optional standby circuits, in that order of priority. The alternate power source shall be permitted to be used for peak load shaving, provided these conditions are met.

So could a generator used for a legally required system still supply loads that were of the optional standby type?

Power source is one thing. Wiring of the system(s) on the load side is another.

sandsnow

DGrant041 said:
Hey, I've got one more. . .

701.2 Definition

Legally Required Standby Systems. Those systems required and so classed as legally required standby by municipal, state, federal, or other codes or by any governmental agency having jurisdiction. These systems are intended to automatically supply power to selected loads (other than those classed as emergency systems) in the event of failure of the normal source.

FPN: Legally required standby systems are typically installed to serve loads, such as heating and refrigeration systems, communications systems, ventilation and smoke removal systems, sewage disposal, lighting systems, and industrial processes, that, when stopped during any interruption of the normal electrical supply, could create hazards or hamper rescue or fire-fighting operations.

So lets say part of the grid loses power for any number of reasons that they always do and all the airport lights come back-up so Joe Flyboy comes in to land his Cessna. The tower says "come on in but WATCH OUT FOR THAT TWENTY STORY BUILDING THAT DOESN'T HAVE ITS LIGHTS O. . .uh, well. . .never mind. . .

Again, my vote is with the airport. I bet they would like the lights to stay on, IMO.
:lol:

Dale

I'd like the lights to stay on too. I suppose we could write a City ordinance that requires aircraft lights to be on LRS system, if there is not a regulation in existence.

Status
Not open for further replies.