Exterior Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.
On an exterior lighting circuit, originally wired 30 years ago, a additional light was added 5 years ago. The closest pole (yard light) has an added on exterior box, with emt and two 14 ga wires into the ground. The added on light has 6 ga wires at the fixture, which measure 120V per multimeter at the terminals. This 120 V drops to 1V when the bulb is screwed in, and the bulb doesn't work. I've seen this before, but can't remember what the solution is. Appears to be at least bad connection underground (?) from 14 ga to 6 ga, no electrical box apparent, but why the dissapearing 120V?

peter d

Re: Exterior Fault

The 120 volts might be a ghost voltage. The fact that it disappears when you screw in a filament bulb almost seals the verdict.

allenwayne

Re: Exterior Fault

If voltage was tested hot to neutral then a lost/cut/open neutral wouldn`t be an option.My bet is that the test was hot to ground. ;) .A solid neutral is one of the most important things to ensure when troubleshooting a single phase problem.I always test that first by going neutral to ground continuity then go from there.

Status
Not open for further replies.