Thread: Wash. State HVAC/Refrig. Limited Energy Admin Exam (O6A

Wash. State HVAC/Refrig. Limited Energy Admin Exam (O6A

Hi folks,

I'm glad to have the opportunity to be a part of the forum. I don't have much to offer unfortunately as my knowledge is minimal, but perhaps that will change with time.

So I'm in need of acquiring my Washington State HVAC/Refrigeration Limited Energy Administator's license. My login in name comes from my experience over the last couple months in attempting to learn the information needed to pass the exam and acquire the license. I was very "green" (as in new) when it came to being prepared for the exam. I knew nothing, and don't know a whole lot now. So I need some advice as to how I can most efficiently prepare for this exam. I've purchased several books to help me learn, such as Mike Holt's "Basic Electrical Theory" & "Understanding Limited Energy Systems", Delmar's electrical theory book, materials from www.contractorexam.com specific to the test, etc. I've got all the code books, the FERMs fast finder, Ugly's book, and so on. I'm finding learning the material from books is frankly pretty obnoxious. So, given that I have no trade knowledge/experience, have very little understanding of the terms used for electrical equipment, have a basic understanding of electrical theory, little familiarity with the code books, what can I do to best learn what I need to know to pass this exam to get this license?

Thanks for the suggestions,

Rob

Re: Wash. State HVAC/Refrig. Limited Energy Admin Exam (O6A

You have purchased a small library there.

[ May 25, 2005, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: georgestolz ]

Seems like you are trying to get out of earning your belt--by working in the trade. It's best to find a job in the trade, and learn how to do the work, before taking your test for the license you seek. WA State is trying to get rid of this form of testing (WA State Allows any peoples to take the WA State Admins exam), because too many people are taking the test--with nooooooooo experience in the trade. Later they start a business--hiring a licensed j-man or etc., and collect their hours under him or her. This is a sorry way of doing things.

I worked hard to earn my Adminstrators, and I hope others will work hard towards theirs. (Fat chance!!)
    Reward the hard worker and drop the buddy buddy slacks!!!

Gentleman,

Thanks for your replies. I'll respond in order.

george,

You have purchased a small library there.
    Indeed
    What exactly does the test cover, in specifics?
    The exam covers NEC code (40 questions), WAC/RCW (10 questions; these are Washington state specific laws), and electrical theory/trade knowledge (10 questions).
    Why would you covet a license that you wouldn't be qualified to use?
    The only thing not qualifying me to use the license is the already admitted lack of knowledge that I posted about acquiring. That was the point of my thread was to see if others knew an effective way of gaining said knowledge. People will suggest (as the other gentleman did below) to work in the field, but out of 60 questions, only 10 of them are on general trade knowledge and theory. The real crux of the exam is on code, and I need a foundational understanding of electricity, electrical components, etc. in order to know the information to pass the exam as well as to function well as an admin.

Btw, I work for an HVAC company, but not in the field. I work in the office. I have no trade experience really from working in the field, but I do have some knowledge about HVAC.
    I don't mean to be insulting, but that's kinda what you said.
    No insult taken. I would say though, even though it is basically moot at this point, I figured it was implied that I had good reason to want this license. Like you said, why would someone seek a license for no reason?

resistance,

Seems like you are trying to get out of earning your belt--by working in the trade. It's best to find a job in the trade, and learn how to do the work, before taking your test for the license you seek.
    I'm not trying to learn HVAC (like how to service equipment, install gas furnaces, etc.). I'm trying to become a limited energy administrator for an HVAC company. This requires 3 areas of knowledge: 1) electrical knowledge, primarily to understand the terms in the code book as well as to answer theory 2) Washington state specific administrator law/requirements and 3) how to find my way through these law/code books. There is very little actual trade knowledge I would need to either pass this exam or function effectively as a *limited energy* administrator. Besides, if I wasn't interested in "earning my belt", why would I have asked, "...what can I do to best learn what I need to know to pass this exam to get this license?" I'm very interested in an effective way to learn the information so I can pass the exam and function effectively as an administrator. That, in effect, is earning my belt.
    WA State is trying to get rid of this form of testing (WA State Allows any peoples to take the WA State Admins exam), because too many people are taking the test--with nooooooooo experience in the trade. Later they start a business--hiring a licensed j-man or etc., and collect their hours under him or her. This is a sorry way of doing things.
    While this isn't really what this thread is about, are you familiar with how much actual limited energy electrical work is involved in HVAC? It's a pretty minor part of HVAC work (at least here at this company it is). You have to be able to run low voltage wire from a thermostat to a furnace circuit board and run low voltage wire from the circuit board of the furnace/air handler to a condensing unit (on A/C and heat pump jobs). Occasionally, you need to be able to run the wiring for zone controls and dampers (this is typically rare and usually only on homes of people who have money to spend). That's it. Pretty minor. The amount of crap Washington state requires be known and understood (some of what they require is no doubt justified, most isn't) is truly ridiculous. But, I'm wanting to learn what they require so that I can pass the exam.
    I worked hard to earn my Adminstrators, and I hope others will work hard towards theirs. (Fat chance!!)
    I didn't ask for a way to cheat or a way to circumvent the process. I asked for suggestions on effective ways to learn the information required without having to learn the info purely from reading (or spend a thousand dollars on training). I'm not sure how this precludes one from working hard...
    Ignore me if you aren't doing this!
    lol, no problem I hope we're all on the same page now. Perhaps helpful suggestions will follow?

Thanks,

Rob

[ May 26, 2005, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: Meltedbrain ]