price of wire

Status
Not open for further replies.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
I was at the big orange yesterday and the price of 12-2 NM was down to $54.00 for 250' roll on Thursday it was $61.00 a roll. Gas is at $1.99 SF Bay area
Just curious what the price is at in your area?

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
Something else to consider. All the single rolls of high priced wire needs to be moved out at the price HD paid for it _ profit. If you have a project, where you buy at least 60, 250' rolls of 12/2 (pallet load) they will sell at a contractor price (about 30% less) to move "new priced copper" wire.

Copper is only running about $1.71 a pound for commodity now.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Something else to consider. All the single rolls of high priced wire needs to be moved out at the price HD paid for it _ profit. If you have a project, where you buy at least 60, 250' rolls of 12/2 (pallet load) they will sell at a contractor price (about 30% less) to move "new priced copper" wire.

Copper is only running about $1.71 a pound for commodity now.

I like to stock up if I think the price will jump drastically, but I don't see that happening soon. If the price of gas jumps up I'd bet wire will be right behind it and that would be when a large purchase may pay off. Afew years ago when NM was on the rise I bought about 100 rolls at $71.00 a roll by the time I used them up 12-2 was at $125.00 a roll. That saved me a few bucks on a bid job that was quoted before the jump in price.

Jim W in Tampa

I played that game in early 80's and had contractors asking if my 1 month old bid was still good. Seems the low bidder was too busy so my price looked good again LOL. I had a friend that got me a pallet at old price .

Rockyd

Occupation
Retired after 40 years as an electrician.
From a high of about $3.85 to $1.78 in a month does provide opportunity for someone.

goldstar

Occupation
Electrical Contractor
Now on down side. I planned on cashing in my scrap for x mas ,simply not happening. Let it sit, it will go up soon.
I Hope you're right. My wife is getting on my case. The side of my house is starting to look like Sanford & Son - Salvage. I called last week to inquire about clean scrap copper. I was told "today it's $1.40/lb but tomorrow it's going down to $1.20/lb". In addition scrap aluminum was about $0.40/lb as was copper wire with insulation on it. It's almost not even worth loading it on the truck and making the trip to the scrap yard.

hillbilly

I Hope you're right. My wife is getting on my case. The side of my house is starting to look like Sanford & Son - Salvage. I called last week to inquire about clean scrap copper. I was told "today it's $1.40/lb but tomorrow it's going down to $1.20/lb". In addition scrap aluminum was about $0.40/lb as was copper wire with insulation on it. It's almost not even worth loading it on the truck and making the trip to the scrap yard.

2 months ago scrap iron was bringing 12 cents/lb around here.....it's now down to 2 cents/lb.

You're right...it's not worth hauling to the scrap yard.

On a positive note however, when the price was high, a lot of junk yards (or should I say "junky yards") got cleaned up.:smile:

steve

John Valdes

Occupation
Retired Electrician
I guess my beer and soda cans will have to sit for awhile. Last time I went, they were paying 85 cents a pound.

Status
Not open for further replies.