Door or no door

Status
Not open for further replies.

tdmotz

I have a circuit breaker panelboard located in a warehouse (see attached) This panel board does not have a door. Is a door required?

The NEC 2005 article 312.1 in a note states in part "circuit breaker panelboards or load centers may not have doors, as permitted by 240.30(A)(2)." Article 240.30(A)(2) does not seem to specifically address this issue.

Therefore, is this panelboard required to have a door?

bhsrnd

I read the same note you're referring to and the way I interpriet it in regards to 240.30 is:

240.30 specifically addresses the OCPD itself and how/where it is installed. If the OCPD were subjected to, say, particles or splashing liquid (physical damage), then the OCPD as required by 240.30 would have to be protected from physical damage. I say this would require a panel with a door.

If the OCPD and panel it is installed is not subject to physical damage, then a door would not be required. IMO I think it's all about panel location and the environment it's installed in.

muskiedog

Yes door required.

Yes door required.

If it came with a door from the manufacture it will need a door unless they state otherwise. From the photo it looks like there was one at one time.

Why wouldn't the door be there?

How are you going to label what the breakers are for?

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
That looks like a Sq D Iline panelboard. I think the doors are optional.

I don't see how 408.4 applies. Edit: Oh, I bet you meant 408.38. Which doesn't have any requirement for a door. I though you were saying the section that says panelboards need a directory on the door meant a door was required:)

I think its OK as long as its not subject to damage, like the previous poster said.

Steve

Last edited:

tdmotz

Thanks for the replies

Thanks for the replies

In answer to some of the questions:

This is an I-Line SquareD panel. It was installed about 15 years ago without doors. There is a recessed area on the face of the panel and some pre-drilled screw holes. However, a door had not been previously installed.

The panel is located in a warehouse area. Other than lots of dust, the panel is not subjet to any dirt, debris or water.

The individual circuit descriptions are located on a laminated sheet located in a metal pocket to the right of the panel. It is not shown in the picture.

The reason the question surfaced was due to a recent property insurance inspection. The insurance inspector indicated that this did not meet code and was possibly unsafe. Since the NEC, in my mind, did not have a specific answer, and that panelboards "may not have doors", I am seeking guidance. Again, thanks for your replies and help.

LarryFine

Master Electrician Electric Contractor Richmond VA
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
tdmotz said:
The insurance inspector indicated that this did not meet code and was possibly unsafe.
This is an easy one: ask that inspector for the NEC section requirement he claims is not being met.

Status
Not open for further replies.