Cast-in anchors

Status
Not open for further replies.

e57

Am I the only person using cast-in strut anchors anymore? None of my supply houses carry them anymore and Hilti only sells them in QTY's of 150...

Short of buying 150 for the purpose of twelve for a small job - I may have to improvise... Any suggestions?

William1978

I've seen them in a couple buildings I've been lately but I don't see that many people using them. looks like they would work great.

celtic

I was watching one of them building shows...maybe LA Hardhats ? or something....a plumbing crew had like one day to prep a floor [poured] ~ items in that floor and supports for items in the ceiling below...they were using them things.
That is the only time I have ever seen them.

acrwc10

Master Code Professional
Occupation
Building inspector
Cut some unistrut into the desired length, wrap with duct tape, screw it to the form. Cut angles on the ends of the strut to help anchor it in the concrete. Hope for the best. :)

e57

Cut some unistrut into the desired length, wrap with duct tape, screw it to the form. Cut angles on the ends of the strut to help anchor it in the concrete. Hope for the best. :)
There are some products that are just that - sans duct tape. (Styrofoam insert instead)

Looks like I'll be doing a 2" x 3/8-16 bolt with a nut and washers sitting on a rod coupling. Lock-tite the bolt, and grease a temp rod pushed in a hole in the form, and pull the rod before they strip it.

iwire

Staff member
Looks like I'll be doing a 2" x 3/8-16 bolt with a nut and washers sitting on a rod coupling. Lock-tite the bolt, and grease a temp rod pushed in a hole in the form, and pull the rod before they strip it.

What is the advantage of doing all that work and hopping they remain in place, undamaged and in the right spot?

You do not like 3/8" x 16 steel wedge anchors?

William1978

I've done this on 27 floors of hotel to support the MC cable going to each unit. Each unit had two pieces of MC running to it the strut woked perfect with those one piece strut straps for MC.

mikeames

Occupation
Teacher - Master Electrician - 2017 NEC
Why not buy the 150 and then you wont have this problem for the next small job? Are they that expensive?

e57

Why not buy the 150 and then you wont have this problem for the next small job? Are they that expensive?
Not really pricey as an item ~$3 - but becomes one of those slow moving stock items for a company that does very little concrete deck work, and likes the stock-less approach. So $40 billed to a job, as opposed to $450 laying around collecting dust waiting the next time I use them, where the other J's and F's seem to be clue-less as to what they are and what they are for.

I can also remember telling at least 2 dozen people what a Mineralac is, and what it is used for over the last few years - a couple of supply houses have stopped stocking them too - I'm starting to feel old.

e57

Just get the hilti with the vacuum attatchment like I did. Not a speck o dust drilling overhead all day long. Really dont need glasses with this either but I still wear them just in case..............
The point is not to have to drill at all.... Nevermind whatever sort of luxury you might be drilling in. Snap a line on the form, hammer them on while you do other conduit work in the deck - when the form is stripped you hang a trapeze from something you will never have a worry of pulling a post-de-facto anchor out of the hole, or hitting rebar, or some greenie dropping the drill warping the bit and oversizing the hole, or how much weight it will hold as you go.

wawireguy

Using those would require actual planning by skilled general and electrical contractors instead of the run of the mill, build it by the seat of your pants style that is the norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.