Poll for Inspectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Jljohnson said:
I had to have a crew run 150' of #8 bare copper today so the job could progress without delay while I sort this out with the local AHJ.
Is this in the hills or down on the plains?

When I was doing houses in the hometown, I made a point to make a point to point out the empty lug on the motor of my jacuzzi tubs to the inspector, and why. I know I'd had an opportunity to mention it to all but the senior inspector.

I won't say more, to not insult the party that this thread will likely be shown to. Needless to say, I agree with the above posters, no conductor to a remote panelboard/water pipe is required.

celtic

georgestolz said:
I made a point to make a point to point out ....
How points are you trying to make?
banana.gif

I had to read that sentance more than once :D

celtic

It's good George has a thick skin :) ...but I think I could "break him" if we ever worked together :D :D

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
georgestolz said:
Is this in the hills or down on the plains?

When I was doing houses in the hometown, I made a point to make a point to point out the empty lug on the motor of my jacuzzi tubs to the inspector, and why. I know I'd had an opportunity to mention it to all but the senior inspector.

Many years ago I questioned several hydrotub manufacturers about the lug. I was informed that they were in fact using a swimming pool motor which came with the lug. They did not care to go to the expense or potential liability to remove it.
I have one time in my inspection carrer come across a set of manufacturers instructions that asked that the hydrotub motor be bonded to service equipment. I mentioned it here before and was aked to post the data, however, I have not since seen such requirements to document.
I do not require bonding, but there are inspectors in adjacent areas that do, based on the fact that some manufacturers require it and its bettert to have the wire there if needed.

celtic

Jljohnson said:
Celtic, take a 2-week "vacation" to Colorado and we can arrange for you to give it a shot. LOL

hmmmm ...a paid comedy vacation ....the gears are spinning :D

electricmanscott

augie47 said:
I have one time in my inspection carrer come across a set of manufacturers instructions that asked that the hydrotub motor be bonded to service equipment. .

Generally the motor is bonded to the service equioment through the egc.

M. D.

I agree that it is not required however there are inspectors where I work that want it.
My question ; is there any harm in bonding the pump to the water pipe/faucet??
and if no harm ,. any potential good????

celtic

M. D. said:
My question ; is there any harm in bonding the pump to the water pipe/faucet??
and if no harm ,. any potential good????

If the water supply is plastic (PEX), what are you bonding the faucet/pump to ~ other than each other?
For what purpose?

IMHO, no harm/no potential good - but a waste of time (which equals money).

For arguments sake (LOL) ...say the water supply IS copper. Aren't all these motors of the double-insulated variety?

M. D.

Celtic, Arguments with inspectors can cost money as well as time :smile: , I would be happy to make such an argument if there was a potential to do harm by bonding the pump to the metalic water supply piping.
I have tried to get one of them to see that it is not required,... it was an unproductive venture .Now I'm the smart arse electrician who thinks he knows more than he does.

electricmanscott

M. D. said:
Yup ,it is a shame,.. so I bond the metalic water supply where it is wanted.

There's where we differ. I do what is required rather than what is wanted. Am I stubborn? Yup. But I have no tolerance for appeasing someone that just thinks they know better than everyone else when they obviously do not. I'd rather fight. :)

augie47

Staff member
Occupation
State Electrical Inspector (Retired)
fight!

fight!

George, You and I have head Scott express this often enough that I have no doubt he is serious about his stand.
I always grin a bit, though, cause while he's fighting, it's costing him $$ and the inspector is often getting paid the same.
While I admire his tenacicity (sp?), I'm always reminded of the addage "don't wrestle with a pig. You only get muddy and the pig enjoys it" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.