Packaged Spa Units

Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey

Would a packaged outdoor spa unit set on a concrete slab be required to be bonded to the rebar? Would it make a difference if the slab was pre existing? I have always bonded the rebar on a new pour, now I am being told it is not necessary.

Thanks..............Brian

mark henderson

Jim W in Tampa said:
Would they even require an inspection or permit ?

The ones I am talking about require a 50 amp circuit. alot of times I pipe in a sub panel then gfci breaker and flex it in to the unit. Therfore I need a permit for the panel.

Mark

Jim W in Tampa

mark henderson said:
The ones I am talking about require a 50 amp circuit. alot of times I pipe in a sub panel then gfci breaker and flex it in to the unit. Therfore I need a permit for the panel.

Mark
If hard wired i agree.But now we have a problem in bonding to what we cant get to.I would bond all other items such as screen inclosure,window frames ,etc within 5 feet.

Jim
I disagree with your evaluation of this topic.

680.42 is the section for reference of outdoor spa or hot tub installations. As listed packaged or hot tub assemblies is mentioned in 680.42(A), yet not mentioned in 680.42(C)Bonding, I would say that the bonding of the unit is required to follow all of the requirements of Part II of Art 680 as per 680.42 lays out for the installer. It may be an "appliance", but it is a spa "appliance".

I do not see where in 680.42(A) - (C) there is any relief from the requirements laid out in 680.42 proper is located.

M. D.

For those who linked a definition of should.

Should; used to indicate obligation, duty or correctness

M. D.

Pierre,in your opinion if the slab were existing would the NEC require hammering the concrete to bond the steel?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
M. D. said:
Pierre,in your opinion if the slab were existing would the NEC require hammering the concrete to bond the steel?

And not all slabs have steel in them.

M. D.

Trevor, that is part of the reason why I asked . It is also why I'm not sure that "catch all" first sentance of 680.42 is adequate. What if the thing sits on pavers, eqipotential bonding grid per 680.26(c)(3) ?
Looks likely.
How about if it sits on mother earth herself? do we still run the grid 3' out from the inside edge of the spa or hot tub, or is it not required at all as the surface is not paved?

Status
Not open for further replies.