Square D Contactor... need urgent help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
We were putting a remote start stop switch on a Square D contactor. (Don't have a part number)

3 phase 30A, 208V.

When the electrician was screwing the cover plate in, the screw went through one of the wires.

So, we removed that wiring and have put the old start stop in. Now, the system does not work.

I can manually push the contactor in, and it works, but I don't know where to turn. We have got to have this back up by 8:00AM tomorrow.

(Supply house does not have one...)

Also, I can't seem to get the reset switch to stay in... at least I think so. I know it twists, but is that a factor for the whole thing?

There's a gray reset and a red button right next to eachother...

Help!

emahler

assuming you rewired the original control the way it was...what it is controlling? any internal fuses that blew?

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
If the reset switch keeps tripping, the starter will not work, though I've seen Square D starters that have the auto reset option which is what you may be pushing on, it works manual reset with the button out, if it is pushed in and turned, it stays in and automatically resets when it cools down. It should have "Man" and "Auto" next to it if this is the case. The red button should be the test button. Why did the Stop button have to be replaced? Was it damaged by the screw also? Also if this is a starter that has the old fashioned heater coils, are they installed? If not the reset button will not stay in. If they are installed are the gears facing to the inside and you can read the heater size stamped on the outside?

assuming you rewired the original control the way it was...what it is controlling? any internal fuses that blew?
Can't find any internal fuses.
Supply house says that there is an overload below the contactor. (There is.)
They think it is possible that we blew the overload... I don't know. Usually, there are overloads because... well, there are overloads...

The wire the screw went thru, was it the control wiring? or the load wiring? Unless it was the load wiring it should have not affected the overloads.

Ok, more detail...

The existing start / stop switch is in a bad location. Company asked us to relocate the s / s switch. Well, we can't exactly do that, because it is part of the contactor box.

So, we got a new s / s switch and wired it in parallel.
Well, when that cover screwed on, that's what caused the problem...
So, the new s / s wiring... still have existing one.

We have now disconnected the new switch.

Status
Not open for further replies.