Plastic bushings on PVC

Status
Not open for further replies.

tonyi

IMO, "installed as a system" intends bushings. No exceptions are made for pipe size. I always put'em in.

I've seen others not do it and pass their roughs though...

Last job I was on didn't use'em (and apparently passed rough) but a lot of the pulls had pretty torn up insulation and bushing retrofitted after the fact by someone cutting the bushing and slipping it over the already pulled wire.

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
All raceways containing #4 and larger conductors require bushings. However, the exception to 300.4(F) does permit a raceway that provides a smoothly rounded edge to be used without bushings for conductors smaller than #4. The question is do PVC terminal adapters have a "smoothly rounded" edge?

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
iwire said:
infinity said:
The question is do PVC terminal adapters have a "smoothly rounded" edge?

Trevor what about 352.46?

Bob, Are you asking if 352.46 allows a terminal adapter without a bushing? It says a fitting which a terminal adapter is. IMO this would apply to a terminal adapter but some others may have a different opinion.

Here's the Article:

352.46 Bushings.
Where a conduit enters a box, fitting, or other enclosure, a bushing or adapter shall be provided to protect the wire from abrasion unless the box, fitting, or enclosure design provides equivalent protection.
FPN: See 300.4(F) for the protection of conductors 4 AWG and larger at bushings.

iwire

Staff member
Trevor IMO equivalent protection will be an inspector decision.

I would be hard pressed to say that the rounded edges of a bushing are not better protection than the typical edge on a male adapter.

Jim W in Tampa

Pierre C Belarge said:
Did you notice that I am now starting over again with the number of posts?? I was demoted friday by the webmaster.... I tried to change my profile and could not log on for days... so they changed my status.
I am now a GREEN HORN

It happened to me too.We changed provider accounts at same time our new system changed.Lrft me with no way to get password e mailed. :cry:

JohnE

Pierre C Belarge said:
Did you notice that I am now starting over again with the number of posts?? I was demoted friday by the webmaster.... I tried to change my profile and could not log on for days... so they changed my status.
I am now a GREEN HORN

Good luck catching Bob now! :wink: :)

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Pierre C Belarge said:
I am now a GREEN HORN

I just figured there was another Pierre Belarge here. Not like it's an unusual name or something.

Welcome to the forum! :D

iwire

Staff member
georgestolz said:
I just figured there was another Pierre Belarge here. Not like it's an unusual name or something.

Heck I run into as many Pierre Belarges as John Smiths. :lol:

Welcome to the forum greenhorn. :p

iwire

Staff member
don_resqcapt19 said:
Why do most use male terminal adapters with locknuts and bushings in place of box adapters?.
Don

Good question.

For me I would say it is tradition. :lol:

I had never seen a box adapter until fairly recently while looking through a Carlon catalog for some other parts.

I have yet to order any to try them out.

Status
Not open for further replies.