residental low voltage

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Sass

Rough wiring new residential for the first time in a couple years, one ofmy peers said he failed an inspection(in his own house,belive it or not) for running the door bell circuit thru the same bored hole as 120 v romex circuits. An the question is ...In residential installations does low voltage,fire ,security,phone etc. have to seperated and can you provide an article please.
Thanks, Bob

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
.In residential installations does low voltage,fire ,security,phone etc. have to seperated and can you provide an article please.
Thanks, Bob

No they do not need separation. If low voltage were in the same JB as the high voltage then you may need a divider but not thru a bored hole. I have no article to give you. If the NEC meant to have them separated then there would be an article to give.

raider1

Staff member
I agree with Dennis,

Cables and conductors of class 2 systems can not occupy the same enclosures, raceways, cables, cable trays ect.. with conductors of electric light, power, class 1 circuits ect.... (See 725.55 2005 NEC)

This section does not prohibit class 2 cables from occupying the same drilled hole as a NM cable.

Chris

B-Sass

I've looked in the book first before posting. Could not seem to find anything in a fair amount of time. I know thier are some limitations in a comercial/industrial installs.
Thanks

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
There are so called restriction in that it is a bad idea to parallel phone lines, speaker wires, etc next to power lines but other than that I know of no restrictions.

steved

Maybe the inspector was thinking of 725.55(J), and he didn't read the part that says "unless one of the following conditions is met."

Status
Not open for further replies.