NM-B cable dispensers

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul32

Does anyone have experience with any of these products?

First is the Wire Wheel by Associated Electric Products:
http://www.assoc-elec-prod.com/WWBenefits.htm

I have no idea what the price is, but if not too much this seems like the best choice. Anybody have this? It isn't clear how easy the wire comes out.

The other is the Thomas Wheeler by Rack-A-Tiers:
http://www.rack-a-tiers.com/pro_tw.htm#thomas

The price is right, but there's nothing to prevent the wire from falling off the edge and get twisted.

Are there other products like this that might be better?

ty

I've seen the Wire Wheel before, but have never used it.

The Thomas Wheeler, on the other hand, I've used, and have bought for my company.
They see no use anymore.
Wire easily falls off of the edge. 10/3 isn't so bad on it, but that's about it.

My buddy has designed one that sits on the floor, and through a series of R/D has come up with a pretty good product. It has just the right amount of braking and it fits 250 ft. coils perfectly.

ty

There is at least 2 other manufactured ones that I've seen similar to the Thomas Wheeler, but I do not remember the brands. One was Red in color (maybe GB).

When I was an apprentice, we used to make our own out of an old wire spool, some jack chain, and a swivel clamp.
They were light and compact and worked ok.

peter

You can make your own. Home Depot and other stores sell a lazy Susan bearing for $5 and $9 depending on size. Get a couple of 2' squares of plywood and some screws and you're almost set. It is important to have something like a coffee can in the center to prevent the NM or MC from pulling through the coil and creating a mess.
I work commercial and deal mainly with MC but this should also work form Romex. I've noticed people pull the MC out of the middle of the roll. With stranded MC this isn't much of a problem but with solid the cable retains it's coil shape -- sort of like a stretched out spring -- and doesn't make a nice, straight, deliberate run. But these people either don't notice nor care.
Either using my unpatented device or a commercial one should result in the wire or cable being straight instead of screwy.
~Peter

macmikeman

I've noticed people pull the MC out of the middle of the roll.

They probably wouldn't if the people who make mc cable would just spool it so that the smooth side of the cable was in a forward direction if you unspool it from the outside of the roll. When I pull it thru metal studs the jacket catches big time when unrolled from the outside of the roll. The only thing I can think of is that the machine that makes the stuff must be the reason that it is sold that way.

dduffee260

One of my employees made what he called a spinner. He simply took 4 2x4's. Made an X at the bottom, then put a post at the top up about 18". Then he draped wire over the post to the sides of the X then stapled the wire on the ends. Then he took a small hook that spins at the top of the post and attached it. Now he takes and drives a nail at the top of the door frame in the hallway where he wants the spinner.
This thing look like it took about 30 minutes to make and cost about $2.00 in parts, even with type NM cable being at an all time high. Since we had the wood given to us. It works like a champ !! If I get some time I will take a picture of it and try and post it to the site.

iwire

Staff member
macmikeman said:
They probably wouldn't if the people who make mc cable would just spool it so that the smooth side of the cable was in a forward direction

They do...at least with 1000' spools and you ask for 'reverse wound'.

It makes a huge difference in pulling. :)

With coils I agree, work from the center.

However you can collect a bunch of loops out of the center and un-roll those or if your feeling energetic you can un-roll the whole coil from the center.

luckyshadow

Theres a company that makes 3 different devices for romex. Basically it's the same device but 3 different sizes. It's called the D-Roller. I don't have a web site just now but if you go to e-bay and do a search for D-Roller you will find them. They seem well made .
I just googled the web site.
It is : www.d-rollerjr.com

Last edited:

infinity

Staff member
Occupation
Journeyman Electrician
macmikeman said:
They probably wouldn't if the people who make mc cable would just spool it so that the smooth side of the cable was in a forward direction if you unspool it from the outside of the roll. When I pull it thru metal studs the jacket catches big time when unrolled from the outside of the roll. The only thing I can think of is that the machine that makes the stuff must be the reason that it is sold that way.

This gets is even worse with Aluminum jacketed cables. If you don't pull it out from the center of the coil you will die trying to get it through metal studs. As Bob said you can order 1000' reels reverse wound. This can make a huge difference especially on long runs.

macmikeman

As Bob said you can order 1000' reels reverse wound. This can make a huge difference especially on long runs.

I did not know I could do that. Thanks for the tip guys. By the way, how hard is it to lift up 1000 foot reels of mc? Around here I have only seen it sold in 250 rolls.

iwire

Staff member
macmikeman said:
By the way, how hard is it to lift up 1000 foot reels of mc?

It depends if you order aluminum or steel jacket.

1000' 12/2 - 12/3 - 12/4 aluminum jacket I can carry alone.

Same thing in steel is really better with two guys.

1000' spools of 10/8 which we use a lot of is pallet jack material. :)

tkb

peter

It took me a while but
Originally Posted by macmikeman
it is obvious that you don't pick up the reels but rather roll them.
~Peter

wyatt2

The assos-elec one is not that good hard to load and the lock nut falls of with a lot of use. Only hould 14 and 12 wire
The rack a ters one is ok works good but you can make one with 2x4's wire and a nail.
I like the carlon one. just did a job ran 10-2 from basement to 2nd floor attic 80' of wire with no helper it worked great.

paul32

I ordered the wire wheel before Tony's post. Mine probably won't break from a lot of use, and maybe they have changed the design, since I think it looks sturdy. I don't think it is hard to load. I just tried it for a short test and it seems good, but it'll be a little while before I use it for real.

The carlon one looks better than the others of that style. I'll have to keep that in mind if I need another one.

Thanks for all the replies.

macmikeman

peter said:
It took me a while but
Originally Posted by macmikeman
it is obvious that you don't pick up the reels but rather roll them.
~Peter

Sorta hard to roll them up into my van without a ramp.:rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.