Pool feeder GFCI protection

Status
Not open for further replies.

William1978

I've been asked several times about using a GFCI breaker for a pool feeder to protect everthing pump motors,lights,recs,ect. I'm not to sure about this install and was curious what the rest of ya'll think also I know I get some good answers. I think the pool contractor is Trying to save money this way and I don't blame him at all. Is a 50a or so GFCI breaker listed for feeder and branch circuit GFCI protection?

mdshunk

That's a heck of a lot of stuff to potentially trip that one feeder breaker. You'd be well advised to divvy up the GFCI protection among the branch breakers. It will make future repairs quicker, since the problem will be narrowed down to a piece of equipment, and not "the pool panel".

William1978

That's a heck of a lot of stuff to potentially trip that one feeder breaker. You'd be well advised to divvy up the GFCI protection among the branch breakers. It will make future repairs quicker, since the problem will be narrowed down to a piece of equipment, and not "the pool panel".

Yes I agree, I'm not a 100% sure this instalation is code compliant or not I don't like this installation at all but if it's code compliant there's nothing I can say about it.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Yes I agree, I'm not a 100% sure this instalation is code compliant or not I don't like this installation at all but if it's code compliant there's nothing I can say about it.

Check out art. 680.23(A)(3)

(3) GFCI Protection, Relamping. A ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be installed in the branch circuit supplying luminaires operating at more than 15 volts such that there is no shock hazard during relamping. The installation of the ground-fault circuit interrupter shall be such that there is no shock hazard with any likely fault-condition combination that involves a person in a conductive path from any ungrounded part of the branch circuit or the luminaire to ground.

Perhaps that is not the intent but it is what it says.

Status
Not open for further replies.