Throw it away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

masterinbama

Cut it up but save those AL rungs they bring scrap money too. Getting off subject a little but do you guys have a scrap man that visits your business and buys your scrap? We have a good one in this area ,he gives what the local yards do and we don't have to load it.

peter d

Getting off subject a little but do you guys have a scrap man that visits your business and buys your scrap? We have a good one in this area ,he gives what the local yards do and we don't have to load it.

Yes, we have them here. I affectionately refer to them as "thieves."

Okie Sparky

I've been told that you can send a damaged ladder back to the manufacturer and get it repaired and it will be OSHA approved. However I have not pursued this as I figured it would be just as expensive to ship the ladder both ways plus the repair bill would probably be more than a new ladder.

nolabama

pop rivet some metal channel inside it and cover it with some fiberglass you get at the body shop and wait for the grand jury to ask where you got your ladder repair license from:D

bjp_ne_elec

Somebody rammed it with another vehicle and conveniently disappeared.

One option, as mentioned in later reply, see if manufacturer can repair. Is this a Werner?

Another option is to see if someone has the bad half for sale. Is there any sign that the damage translated in to the other section?

dezwitinc

Check around and see if there is a local ladder manufacturer around you somewhere.
We used to get ladders repaired in the Boston area often.
There was a manufacturer that repaired and certified them at very low cost.

220/221

I would not throw it away, I'd repair it.

I think all yoy have to do is make it a little shorter.

Remove the feet by drilling the rivets, cut it cleanly and reattach the feet.

That's $450 an hour.

JJWalecka

Disguard it and cut it up. Too much liability. Having a ladder on the rack is convenient but the sun can be brutal.

Is there a product to cover the ladder on the rack to prevent deterioration? Perhaps a tarp tied down properly.

JJ

nolabama

masterinbama we have those guys here they pay a little less than going rate - seems like a good deal - last time i saw one at the scrap yard he was in a brand new cummins 3500 dodge with a 25 yard texas dump gooseneck loaded to the gills with romex - must be doing well

peter

Seeing as how only the bottom of one section seems to be damaged, you could at least keep the other section.
And you could just cut off the bottom 1 foot of the damaged part, replace the feet and the whole thing should be as good as new -- except one foot shorter but also a little bit lighter and easier to carry. Use epoxy.
~Peter
I can build anything you want if you draw a picture of it on the back of a big enough check.

Anybody know of anything that can be done for this 450 dollar ladder?

1204081505.jpg

Fiberglass repair kits are available at boating supply shops. Repair of a listed equipment is another question from the liability standpoint.

Cant it be doe?

Absolutely.

Should it be done?

I would let the original manufacturer address the issue. It seems to me a manufacturing defect, even if it is occured after the warranty period so they should make good. It may even be cause for a recall!

480sparky

Use two batteries worth of cordless sawzall time on it. Make 100% sure someone isn't going to pull it out of the dumpster and use it.

I typically cut every rung all the way through.

quogueelectric

If I were to attempt this this is the system that I would use to fix it I have used this system before and it works great. and it was introduced to me by a friend of mine who installs bow thrusters on million dollar yachts. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6N7YMr6E564 I am trying to figure out how to treat fish sticks that have been overbent or knicked so I dont get fiberglass splinters in my fingers anymore. BTW I will fix the ladder for only 449$

Status
Not open for further replies.