Throw it away?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ike5547

Occupation
Electrician
Anybody know of anything that can be done for this 450 dollar ladder?

1204081505.jpg

peter d

What's more expensive?

A new ladder?

The cost of an injury?

Seems like the choice is obvious. That ladder should get a sawzall treatment faster than you can read this sentence. :)

ctmike

Cut it up and throw it away. years a ago the local phone co trashed a bunch of ladders. they were taken out of dumpsters . Someone fell of the unsafe ladder and sued the phone co

peter d

You'll notice that I completely dodged your question about repairing this ladder. What happens if you make a repair to it, and the repair fails? Ooopss...now we're back to the cost of an injury.

I've climbed my fair share of ladders that have been "field repaired." It was a bad idea every time. :roll:

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
I actually fixed a fiberglass ladder with a piece of oressure treated wood. I cut the piece into the "U" slot of the ladder and then screwed the fiberglass to the wood. It worked well but I am sure OSHA would have a fied day with it.

bjp_ne_elec

1204081505.jpg

That thing looks like it has a serious "sun burn". I see you're in CA - I think I'd look in to something to keep any ladders you potentially have baking in the sun, covered.

For that ladder, I find it a little concerning you even asked the question - take the bandsaw to it ASAP. It appears it should have been thrown out about a year ago.

hillbilly1

Occupation
Owner/electrical contractor
I just got done wiring the corporate headquarters of a large general contractor, The President of the company came out and was checking out his new building, climbed a extension ladder that they owned, up to a mezzanine, the ladder slide out (rubber gone off the feet) landing on his back, Dislocated his shoulder and broke six ribs. Luckily he did not hit his head on the concrete floor. Major labor cost there!

JohnME

I think he has a legit question personally, is there an approved method of repair?

I was given what looked like a brand new 8' ladder a few years back, they said it was damaged, but we looked it all over and found nothing wrong, the guy I was working for said to take it anyway (great guy to work for). Anyways, I was working around the house one day with it and the leg split right up the side without any warning, I guess whoever said it was damaged in the first place was right.

Dennis Alwon

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Contractor
Somebody rammed it with another vehicle and conveniently disappeared.

I was going to ask what did you back into. I had a helper that did that to my 12' step ladder--- Back then it was $200-- had to get a new one.

BTW, the one I repaired was only for a day til I got to buy one. I still have it here at the house. I use it to pick figs from the tree in the summer. :smile:

satcom

That thing looks like it has a serious "sun burn". I see you're in CA - I think I'd look in to something to keep any ladders you potentially have baking in the sun, covered.

For that ladder, I find it a little concerning you even asked the question - take the bandsaw to it ASAP. It appears it should have been thrown out about a year ago.

Cut up, and put in dumpster, ladders are an expense we expect to have every time the ladder runs out of date or has the slightest flaw, right in the scrap pile before someone gets a serious injury.

Status
Not open for further replies.