Electric baseboard heater missing thermostat

Status
Not open for further replies.

zappy

Yes, put the ohm meter on the wires that go to the element.

zappy, your profile says you're an EC. How long have you been an EC (just curious)?
And i am curious why you ask?:smile:I admit i don't know everything in this trade,that's why i'm asking so i can learn.I've never hooked up a baseboard heater and t-stat,so i was wondering how to,and how it works.

PCN

no the j-box on the heater there's a yellow and red wire that i am not sure how to connect.

Wouldn't they be the wires going to the heating element?

Most often they are just two black wires.

You should have 4 wires: 2 for the thermal overload (leave wire nutted together) & 2 for the heater.

hardworkingstiff

You should have 4 wires: 2 for the thermal overload (leave wire nutted together) & 2 for the heater.

Welllllll.

The t-stat and thermal overload need to be wired in series with the heater element.

So, one way to do it is to have a hot wire go to the overload, then the other lead from the overload goes to one lead of the heating element. The other hot wire can go to the t-stat and the return wire from the t-stat would go to the 2nd wire on the heating element.

hardworkingstiff

And i am curious why you ask?:smile:I admit i don't know everything in this trade,that's why i'm asking so i can learn.I've never hooked up a baseboard heater and t-stat,so i was wondering how to,and how it works.

Sorry zappy, it just seems your questions are from someone that is new to the trade (not enough time in grade to be an EC).

It is/was not my intent to offend you, and if I did I'm sorry.

zappy

I would imagine that Zappy probably does not see too many electric baseboards in California. Just like we do not see many heat pumps in New England. :)
Yeah i can go threw the whole winter in the bay area without using my gas heater.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.