Dealing With Screamers

Status
Not open for further replies.

360Youth

Unfortuneately I have been on both sides of the fence on this one. I have never been a "screamer" thankfully, but in years past I have been trigger happy to vent my frustration. It has gotten way better (although my boss made the comment a few weeks ago that I can be a little crass in my responses) simply because it just isn't worth it. And I have found that responding or reacting back at someone just isn't worth it either. But I still have my moments. :roll:

As far as how would I deal with employee/employer situation (GCs fall under the employer). Either case it would greatly depend on if I thought there were underlying issues or they were just being an ignorant pain. In no case would I allow an employee to act that way in the field. If there was enough work away from customer contact that things could be worked out, than so be it, if not, they would need to correct it quickly or move on. If it was an employer or GC it would really depend on the level and consistency of the abuse vs. how bad I needed the work.

Last edited:

prh1700

I have worked for both screamers and non-sceamers and in my experience, the non-sceamer definetly got more production, as they were respected. Reprimands were taken as a constructive criticism learning tool, which in turn, motivated the employee to a higher level. If it didn't corrective action was taken. It just seems to me that the boss that has the respect of his men gets the job done faster and better.

mattsilkwood

ive found that most of these guys will cow down like a puppy if you buck up to them. i dont care who the guy is you dont have to put up with that.

JohnE

I wouldn't tolerate being screamed at. Period. After he screams, I'd say something like "if you are done screaming, now we can talk about bla, bla, bla.." I don't know exactly how I'd react. But I know I wouldn't tolerate it.

wbalsam1

ive found that most of these guys will cow down like a puppy if you buck up to them. i dont care who the guy is you dont have to put up with that.

You're absolutely right. I was on a job once where the guy was screaming and carrying on like you wouldn't believe. I said right to him in front of everybody "So, you quit growing up around, what, eight or nine?" He retaliated with some bullying and got his butt kicked right in front of his men. I thought for sure I'd get fired, but the boss said "Good job. He's been bucking for that for quite some time." I told him I came there to work not babysit an adult child. Never had any more problem with the guy.

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
As an employer, would you hire/fire an employee despite/because they are a screamer?
I would not hire one. I would fire one, if the behavior continues after I had taken appropriate action to correct the behavior.
Do you consider screaming to be an effective management tool over a construction crew?
No. Not that I have any experience with managing a construction crew. I just don?t believe in screaming.
Are screamer's crews more or less productive?
Less, I should think. If I had to spend time figuring out what I needed to do to avoid being screamed at by my boss, I would have been wasting time that were better spent working.
Should a crew be "screamed at" first thing in the morning to get them woke up and spurred into action?
I think not. If you have a crew that will only react to that type of motivation, then you have missed out on a chance to get a good crew.
Any helpful hints for the screamees?
Do not tolerate it, not even once, not for a moment.

How you bring the ?no screaming? message to the boss will depend greatly on the nature of the boss?s personality. Some of the suggestions I read above were good possibilities. Here are two others, two that are quite opposite approaches from each other.

Possible approach #1:
As soon as the screaming starts, interrupt it. Stand up, walk over, stand right in front of the screamer, and say, right into his face, quietly and calmly, ?Do not ever speak in a loud tone again, unless the room is on fire. I will not tolerate being screamed at.?

Possible approach #2:
Yell back (sort of). But do not say anything in response to whatever he was saying. Instead, yell something completely surprising. For example, once again you walk over to the screamer, but this time you scream into his face, ?GOOD MORNING. ISN?T IT A LOVELY DAY? I HOPE YOU ARE WELL. WOULD YOU LIKE A CUP OF COFFEE?? Then you say, quietly and calmly, ?Do not ever speak in a loud tone again, unless the room is on fire. I will not tolerate being screamed at.?

growler

Should a crew be "screamed at" first thing in the morning to get them woke up and spurred into action?

A crew shouldn't need to be "screamed at" first thing in the morning to get them woke up and spurred into action. That's what a pay check is for. If the crew isn't woke up and spurred into action when it's work time it's time to get a new crew.

The best way to get a crew motivated is to set down rules of when the work day starts and what you expect everyone to be doing when the day starts. If they are not working you put a few on the road and the rest will be motivated. 90 percent of the crew will show up on time and start to work on time if you just get rid of the slackers.

Never treat men like children, treat them like adults and let them know what's expected of them and things work much better.

satcom

A crew shouldn't need to be "screamed at" first thing in the morning

Never treat men like children, treat them like adults and let them know what's expected of them and things work much better.

I agree screaming is a child like activity.

cowboyjwc

Staff member
The problem with me giving advice on this one is that I usually don't follow it myself.

I agree that you should probably say nothing and just let it go, but awhile back I was on a job and the super used to complain about every little correction like it was going to set him back a week, even though he was very seldom ready when I got there and never had the EC on site for his inspections. One day he cut loose, again, and I simply said "we're done" and turned and headed to my truck. Of course he followed me and continued on with things like "washed up contractor" "power trip" "incompetent", you know, the normal. Finally I turned around and just cut loose. "If you've got a problem with me then take your a** down to the office and tell who ever you think will listen to your whinny, crybaby story, tell them how incompetent you think I am and maybe you can get them sign off all of the code violations that you have and then I'll call your boss and tell him how incompetent I think you are and we can see who get's fired first."

His eyes got big and he just looked at me and asked "whoa, what was that all about?" I just asked "how's it feel?"

He's probably done 50 jobs in town since then and we have never had a problem since and actually get along very well.

I don't necesseraly recommend this approach. If he had actually gone down to the office I may have really been in for it. Luckly my reputation as being very level headed and easy going usually gets me off with, "he was probably just having a bad day." Though you usually have to push me pretty hard to get me to blow. I will say that in 20 years here I have only gone off 3 or 4 times.:smile:

tonyou812

My first boss was a screamer. For about a year I put up with it. He was one nasty SOB and nothing could ever make him happy.One day he was really ripping into me and I really felt that it was unjustified so I told him to keep his lousy $10Hr job.But I do have to say, because of him being so tough I feel that As an apprentice i got better quicker. I didnt want to mess up and have to listen to him. And I vividly remember him laughing once when I told him I wanted to go into buisness for myself. Now I love it when I see him at the supply house and that dumb look on his face.

But personally there is nothing to be gained by screaming at anyone. And you only get yourself worked up when you can just simply use your normal voice.

Mike Lang

My first boss was a screamer and I've learned that they do that to cover up for a lack of knowledge or worth. Or at least in my experience that was the case. All I can tell you is to try and avoid him as best as possible and if that's not an option be %100 up on your work so you have something to throw back at him and shut him up.

PCN

In the 90's I worked for a company that had 5 foreman. One of them was biggest hot head screamer I'd ever seen. Very few people wanted to be sent to his jobs because of it.
The apprentices didn't even dare to ask him a question for fear of getting yelled at for asking a "stupid question". I saw a lot of lost production time because of his attitude.
Most of the other foreman were good guy's that had way of getting the crew to want to hustle and work smart, not in fear.

When ever I've had to deal with it I've found if you respond in a calm,cool manner and not stoop to their childish level it will usually make them feel stupid and tone it down.

( I must confess I did YELL at a helper once for trying to cut 3/8" threaded rod with my ratcheting cutters :-?)

khixxx

I agree that you should probably say nothing and just let it go, but awhile back I was on a job and the super used to complain about every little correction like it was going to set him back a week, even though he was very seldom ready when I got there and never had the EC on site for his inspections. One day he cut loose, again, and I simply said "we're done" and turned and headed to my truck. Of course he followed me and continued on with things like "washed up contractor" "power trip" "incompetent", you know, the normal. Finally I turned around and just cut loose. "If you've got a problem with me then take your a** down to the office and tell who ever you think will listen to your whinny, crybaby story, tell them how incompetent you think I am and maybe you can get them sign off all of the code violations that you have and then I'll call your boss and tell him how incompetent I think you are and we can see who get's fired first."

His eyes got big and he just looked at me and asked "whoa, what was that all about?" I just asked "how's it feel?"

When you yelled back at this guy, did you have your shirt off and a 3/4" piece of rigid in your hand :)

ohm

I was wiring a new house for a guy who would scream at his best buddy (GC) all day long. One day he lit into me, I let him finnish, tol him he just did something no one had done in forty years and it would be his last attempt. The next time I was gone.

Never happened again. His buddy drug up.

brian john

I have dealt with several screamers over the years, I tell them I am an adult I think they are an adult can we please handle this like ADULTS, children scream and adults try to work things out 99.9%, this works.

Status
Not open for further replies.