Dealing With Screamers

Status
Not open for further replies.

George Stolz

Staff member
Occupation
Service Manager
Have you ever had to work with a screamer? You know, someone who can't speak in a civil tone when either offering direction, correction or just participating in a discussion.

Personally, I am working under a screamer, and could use some tips on how to maintain a cool head without cracking his head open with a shovel. I'd like to think I can adapt to just about anybody, but wouldn't mind hearing a few tips.

Coincidentally, a friend of mine is an EC working for a screaming GC. That GC has his good and bad days. My buddy has a decent amount of pride and by all rights probably wouldn't normally put up with the outbursts, but the GC is a pretty steady income in a somewhat slow winter. The funny thing is, the GC commented that one of his prior electricians in years past informed the GC that he was walking off the job, he had no time for it. The GC was relaying the story in part because my buddy called him out on it.

The irony was, the GC was saying that sometimes, he needed a gut check like that to keep his screaming in check - but the reason it was being discussed was because he had just got done screaming (in a bad way about the customer) within earshot of the customer, at the EC. :D

My buddy and I were talking about this the other day, and he asked me (and I forward the question to you): As an employer, would you hire/fire an employee despite/because they are a screamer? Do you consider screaming to be an effective management tool over a construction crew? Are screamer's crews more or less productive?

Should a crew be "screamed at" first thing in the morning to get them woke up and spurred into action?

Any helpful hints for the screamees? :)

480sparky

Screaming, AS IN TYPING WITH YOUR CAPS LOCK ON....EVERYTHING THEY SAY IS AT THE TOP OF THEIR LUNGS?

Or screaming, as in "Geez Louise, you people are a bunch of dolts! How can you survive each day and live to go home?"

The former I can deal with. I have a set of
CaldwellES-85HearingProtector.jpg
in the truck.

The latter I have no time for.

quogueelectric

Have you ever had to work with a screamer? You know, someone who can't speak in a civil tone when either offering direction, correction or just participating in a discussion.

Personally, I am working under a screamer, and could use some tips on how to maintain a cool head without cracking his head open with a shovel. I'd like to think I can adapt to just about anybody, but wouldn't mind hearing a few tips.

Coincidentally, a friend of mine is an EC working for a screaming GC. That GC has his good and bad days. My buddy has a decent amount of pride and by all rights probably wouldn't normally put up with the outbursts, but the GC is a pretty steady income in a somewhat slow winter. The funny thing is, the GC commented that one of his prior electricians in years past informed the GC that he was walking off the job, he had no time for it. The GC was relaying the story in part because my buddy called him out on it.

The irony was, the GC was saying that sometimes, he needed a gut check like that to keep his screaming in check - but the reason it was being discussed was because he had just got done screaming (in a bad way about the customer) within earshot of the customer, at the EC. :D

My buddy and I were talking about this the other day, and he asked me (and I forward the question to you): As an employer, would you hire/fire an employee despite/because they are a screamer? Do you consider screaming to be an effective management tool over a construction crew? Are screamer's crews more or less productive?

Should a crew be "screamed at" first thing in the morning to get them woke up and spurred into action?

Speak softly and carry a big stick!

Mr.Sparkle

Yeah......If it truly is getting to you tell him to shut up, I am not sure anybody likes those kinds of guys. The vast majority of the time their actions do not have a positive impact on the productivity of the task at hand and it only makes the screamed at employee not able to think straight or care about anything they are doing at work anyhow.

On a side note I witnessed a screamer GC get one punch K.O.'ed once. I could not stand this guys daily doses of personality disorder and it was the most bittersweet thing I think I ever witnessed on a jobsite.........on second thought, don't say anything to the screamer just let him be him, who knows maybe you will get front row seats to a boxing match one day. :D

Last edited by a moderator:

When I was younger, (and a little less knowledgeable) I had put up with screamers, wheather for the money, or just because I didnt know alot. But 'screaming' is really NOT necessary (Unless you in the military or dealing with your kids lol), and a little respect goes along way!! Now being older and wiser, I dont put up with the NONSENSE or consistant disrespect.

The position you are in leaves very little wiggle room, especially in the hard economic times we are all experiencing.

I went through a similar situation when I was an apprentice. I had to tolerate an abusive foreman who loved to show the apprentices who was boss by being verbally abused everyday... for months. I needed the job and tolerated the abuse. It was not easy and made for a miserable day, every day. It was finally over one day when I got moved to another job.

Your decision will be made by your position in regards to your relation with the company owner and how much you need the job.

If you stay, work hard, avoid this guy whenever you can. Answer him only when you have to and avoid conversation with him at all times.

Good luck, these situations are never easy.

P.S.
Do not confront him on any level, you will be playing into his game and he will win.

Fulthrotl

~Autocorrect is My Worst Enema.~

this is something i had posted in another thread, but as it fits here,
i am recycling the post....

========================================
since i've been reading posts here, it's interesting to watch the different
personality types interact. the one thing life has taught me is that
somebody behaving in a particular way, either gracious or insulting, has
very little to do with me, and much to do with the person acting out their
own beliefs, and fears. and most people's beliefs ARE their fears, simply put.

it's pretty easy to figure out what's really going on with someone by
how they defend themselves, and most people defend themselves by
attacking someone or something, and projecting their fear outward in
a defense. a defense shows what the weakness is, for if it wasn't weak,
what would you need a defense FOR?

and quietly speaking the truth will usually resolve the problem.

case in point... i was doing project management on a large job about
10 years ago, backing up a GF who was buried in a fast track.

the GC project manager was a less than capable guy who made up for
his inadequacies by screaming at the scheduling meetings. no planning
ability, no workable schedule, no management ability, just screaming at
the various subs... a not very bright, do it hard and stupid sort of guy.
there were probably 30 people in the room, male and female, and the
conduct was deplorable.

after two meetings of this, i had enough of his chrome plated silly noise,
and when he stopped shouting long enough to suck some more air, i
very quietly said "behaving like this will not make your penis larger".

sorta cut right to the chase. the room fell apart in laughter, and when
it finally quieted down, he'd start talking again, and someone would
snicker in the back, and the laughter would start all over again.

he finally ended the meeting, and i never heard him speak like that
again..... of course, it may have been because my GF was told to
never bring me to the meeting again....
=================================

randy

ivsenroute

Try to speak with the screamer in private and tell him he is not projecting a professional image. Then offer to teach him some electrical work starting with this kit you can buy him:

jr_electrician_set.jpg

mdshunk

With some people, that's all the better they get. Some people can appear to be mad, when they're really not mad at all. I've had people comment to me in the past something like "boy, you really reamed that guy a new one", or something along those lines, and I was confused. I wasn't really particularly upset. I've been around far too many "screamers", so it's just water off a duck's back. It's all the better they ever were, are, or ever will be. Just deal with it or move on.

quogueelectric

What - assault the screamer? :D

How much time would someone serve following that advice? :D

It would make you feel better wouldnt it?? You would never say I should a I could a. You would be out in a couple of years look at the money you would save with no rent or mortgage payments for 5 yrs. Right between the eyes edit to say note to post 13.

triplstep

Screamers are counting on getting a reaction. If you train them that their tactics don't work with you, then they will learn to lay off. So, the best way to deal with the situation is to: 1. look at them when they start their rant, 2. quit working on the task at hand, 3. put your lips together (so you don't react), and 4. when they are finished, smile and go back to making the boss money. :D

quogueelectric

Certain contractors love screamers they promote the bad blood between owners and workers.
In my experience as contractors get richer and bigger it is memememememe and they really think every one is out to screw them when that cant be farther from the truth.
Most men come to work to do a days work and when loudmouth egotistical foremen dont have either the layout the tools or the material to do the job it takes the wind right out of thier sails.
Treat me like a clown I will be a clown .
Treat me like a jman I will do my best to get the job done.
The owner usually never knows this is happening.Or he would correct it.

bjp_ne_elec

This style of management went out in the late70's/early 80's in corporate America, and I also saw it disappear (not totally - you still had a few of these knot heads) in the trade. I've worked in both areas.

It's counter productive as it demotivates the emplyoee - proven by many interviews and studies. People like this have usually a control issue and most of the time are very insecure. In corporate America they are not tolerated - but again, you still see a few in construction. If it's the owner - much more difficult to change this type. If he's an employee, then upper management needs to hear complaints.

Good luck!

Hi everyone,
Having been in this situation as well, I have found work work best for me is to present this person with options. Option one I calmly ask "What can I do to help you have a better day". This usually settles them down to a tolerable level that can be dealt with. Option two which hinges souly on your financial stand point as them if they have any caulk? When they reply "no" suggest they get some so they can mark where they started kissing your A#$. Several post now have suggested that these types of people suffer from some form of short coming or another that they are very aware of it and can't come to terms with it. Each and every night they have to lay down and reflect on how miserable they are and know they have to deal with it everyday. You can't fix it but you can control your exposure which has been suggested as well. No sure who, but it was quoted " the true measure of a person is not measured when they are in triumph, but measure when they face adversities". You being the better person will be your greatest glory and it's priceless. Good luck to you. In closing i think it was this forum that someone has a comment below their name that states " Never argue with and idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". I still have that as my screen saver on the work computer.

LHarrington

khixxx

I worked for an arrogant guy, It was a trip just to talk to him. He was always putting down people, pretty much everyone hated him. I was always asked how I could put up with him. Anyway I put up with it for 2.5 years. I final ask him what his problem was with me, that was like poking a tiger. So I called HR (Big mistake) and told them I was having problems dealing with my supervisor and I needed help either advice, training what ever. next thing I know I was in meeting after meeting about how my performance declining. I pulled out my evaluations from years past to compare them with the new one. yes there was a noticeable decline in performance and it just so happened to be the same time I called HR looking for help. well I saved up what it would cost me to live a year without work. I began searching for a new job, requested training classes like crazy and burnt up about 4 weeks of sick leave paid all excusable in a 8 month period. During that 8 months I know I was leaving so I just didn't care if that guy was arrogant I just shrugged it off and I just did not care what he thought. I finally gave my notice and said "I don't wake up everyday to deal with this". I now make double what I was making. I figured it cost the company about $15k when I left now they had to train another guy so that cost time and money.

To finally answer you question of how I handle it. I just do not care. I know my skills, I know I am financially fit, and I know there are to many jobs out there to deal with crap. C Ya :)

When guys yell and act like their hair is on fire then look at me and know I just do not care what they think, they back off.

Best of luck

Status
Not open for further replies.