How to choose/design Statcom for windmill application?

Status
Not open for further replies.

shankarums

Hi All

I am working on Statcom for windmill applications where my statcom operate for reactive power requirement from wind generators.

But I would like to know how a basic statcom connected to bus through transformer compensates reactive power? What is the specs for the transformer such it would transfer voltage from statcom to bus.

Initially i assumed grid as ideal source and connected RL load. For this configuration If add passive type compensators , it works well in case of reactive power compensation.

But If i replace that passive comp with active comp like statcom(VSC) thro Transformer, I couldnt get that compensated, instead total reactive power increased. I have taken simple 1:1 Transformer. Thats how voltage from statcom output compensates the reactive power requirements?

should we give statcom output directly to bus instead of transformer?

Anybody can explain this and also i need continuous support for me to complete my work finally with reactive power compensation using statcom for windmill applications.

Suggest how to proceed? Since i am starting from scracth

beanland

May not here?

May not here?

Statcoms and dvar are beyond the issues that most people reading this forum will address. These are generally utility (POCO) issues. A statcom or dvar draws power from the 3-phase AC source to charge a DC bus (like a VFD). It then inverts the DC voltage back to AC but does it at a phase angle that either creates leading or lagging reactive current. The magnitude of the current determines the amount and the phase angle (+90 or -90) determines the lead/lag. Since the power electronics is not line-voltage rated, the power electronics (IGBT) will operate at 480V and a transformer will step it up to line voltage. The inverters on photovoltaic systems work this way. Full 4-quadrant VFD (regenerative drives) work this way.

Status
Not open for further replies.