Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: generators, bonded neutrals, and transfer switches

generators, bonded neutrals, and transfer switches

I have read all of the generator threads that I could find but I still have some questions.

I am building a house and wanted a transfer switch for my portable generator. My generator is a Honda generator. Looking at the manual Honda says:

"Honda portable generators have a system ground that connects generator frame components to the ground terminals in the AC output receptacles. The system ground is not connected to the AC neutral wire. If the generator is tested by a recptacle tester, it will not show the same ground circuit condition as for a home receptacle."

Is this a bonded neutral or not?

Will a transfer switch that just switches the two hot wires be ok or should I switch the neutral also?

If I can use a two pole transfer switch, Do I need to connect the generator frame to an earth ground (i.e. ground rod by the generator)?

Sorry for the long post

Thanks,
    Josh

Re: generators, bonded neutrals, and transfer switches

Q. Is this a bonded neutral or not?

A. No, according to your quote from the manual, the frame is not bonded to the neutral.

Q. Will a transfer switch that just switches the two hot wires be ok or should I switch the neutral also?

A. The two-pole transfer switch is the correct one.

Q. If I can use a two pole transfer switch, Do I need to connect the generator frame to an earth ground (i.e. ground rod by the generator)?

A. No, but ensure that the generator cord or cable contains an equipment bonding conductor (green in sketch), and keep the runs as short as possible.

Ed

[ January 13, 2005, 12:36 AM: Message edited by: Ed MacLaren ]

thanks for the info.

josh

In my opinion, that generator is not in compliance with 250.20(B).
    Don
    Don, Illinois
    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." B Franklin

Originally posted by don_resqcapt19:
    In my opinion, that generator is not in compliance with 250.20(B).
    Don
    I was wondering about that myself.

[ January 13, 2005, 07:42 AM: Message edited by: petersonra ]
    Bob

I'll bite, what part of 250.20(B) isn't complied with?
    Jim T

I will bite also,in following the above post, and in referance to FPN in 250.20(d) in the discription of a separately derived,and if 250.66 is observed for bonding jumper,then you'll need to educate me further..

[ January 13, 2005, 09:14 AM: Message edited by: dillon3c ]

Jim,
    How is it a grounded system if the neutral is not connected to a grounding electrode? The information posted said that the neutral is not connected to the generator frame which is the grounding electrode for portable generators per 250.24(A). And before anyone asks, the generator output is "premises wiring" per Article 100.
    Don
    Don, Illinois
    "It is the first responsibility of every citizen to question authority." B Franklin

I am seeing that the generator neutral is grounded by the connection to the existing grounding system at the house service. Also, the generator in this application is NOT considered as a separately derived system.

This is perfectly legal and feasibile and desirable. In my opinion.
    IBEW LU 716

on the other hand, if the transfer switch also disconnected the generator neutral and the utility neutral, then the generator WOULD be a seperately derived system and would require a main bonding jumper (system bonding jumper) and a grounding electrode system.
    IBEW LU 716