The Honda (inverter) generator revisited

Status
Not open for further replies.

-marty

We had this discussion before but it was a little foggie to me.

I want to connect a Honda eu2000 to a house for back up power through a double pole double throw safety switch. (double pole because there is also a larger 240v generator connected at times.)

I understand I will only have one phase and will need to turn all 2 pole breakers off. Actually all the breakers will be off except two lighting circuits.

Question - If I understand these inverters correcty I want to run power and neutral but not ground, right?

thanx!

tom baker

First Chief Moderator
Staff member
Power - neutral - ground are not code terms. I think I know what power and neutral are, but what ground?
If you don't transfer the grounded conductor, then make sure the generator does not have a system bonding jumper, it will need a grounded conductor and a equipment ground.

-marty

Hey guys thanks for the answer but please don't get side tracked. The transfer switch is a square d dtu100 something or other. It's ul listed as service equipment.

PLEASE - what about the equipment ground - yes or no

paul32

Since the transfer switch does NOT switch the neutral, you do NOT have a separately derrived systems, therefore you CANNOT have a neutral/ground bond in your generator. I assume that is your question. The generator ground is connected to other grounds, but you don't connect it to the neutral at the generator. It sort of has an EGC like any other equipment.

Edit: You said the safety switch is DPDT. What about the transfer switch? DTU100 "something or other" isn't precise enough for me to bother looking it up. :)

Last edited:
I have seen it done. It would be the same as a 4 wire but it only has one line (load, phase, or what ever you want to call it). The only thing that I can think about is over loading them with will just shut it down.

*semi off topic*
I have used on instead of my 8,000 watt generator before. But my setup is a GE panel with the built in inter lock. The panel faces are about $70 with the interlock all ready installed and UL listed.

e57

ron said:
e57,
Unless this was for a branch circuit, a listed transfer switch does not seem to be required.

I didn't say "listed..." I said "for the purpose".... As a truncated way of saying what is italics below. Just any DPDT such as a double pole toggle would not be appropriate. And even a DPDT knife switch would be up to the AHJ. (Seeing that there also seems to be another generator involved that is hooked up somehow to this?)

702.6 Transfer Equipment.
Transfer equipment shall be suitable for the intended use and designed and installed so as to prevent the inadvertent interconnection of normal and alternate sources of supply in any operation of the transfer equipment. Transfer equipment and electric power production systems installed to permit operation in parallel with the normal source shall meet the requirements of Article 705.
Transfer equipment, located on the load side of branch circuit protection, shall be permitted to contain supplementary overcurrent protection having an interrupting rating sufficient for the available fault current that the generator can deliver. The supplementary overcurrent protection devices shall be part of a listed transfer equipment.
Transfer equipment shall be required for all standby systems subject to the provisions of this article and for which an electric-utility supply is either the normal or standby source.

Found the switch he's talking about. "Manually operated switch suitable for use in accordance with article 702 of the NEC, ANSI/NFPA 70" Which is prohably fine for the "other generator" it is connected to..... But the 120 generator would also need a seperate transfer equipment. (To avoid interconnection) And then there is this powering of 120/240 with only 120.... :rolleyes: (1600W) Thats only enough for a HAIRDRYER.... Even then, any 3-wire circuit neutral would be subject to over-load if connected. IMO totally inappropriate for this use connected to premis wiring, reguardless of marty not knowing what to do with his grounds and grounded conductors..... ;) (What kind of double sided 5-20R/P extention cord can be made to do this?) I think I was trying to say marty is in over-his head.....

Status
Not open for further replies.