• Man, I have no idea!

Votes: 1 8.3%
  • What planet is this guy from anyways?

Votes: 3 25.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

ctroyp

Does anyone know of any occupancy restrictions for MC-cable?

The architect designed this complete indoor activity center and has restricted the wiring method to using EMT only. Not that EMT is a problem, but it is just his reasoning.

He states that "any building with planned occupancy more than 200 has to be done in EMT", per the NEC. This is a volunteered project for a non-profit organization and cost is very important.

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
I think he is trying to use 518 for his reasoning but he is wrong. I don't know if 518 would really apply. Anyways, show him 518.2 and 518.4.

Roger

Last edited:

charlie b

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrical Engineer
It's not an NEC restriction. I do not know if there are any applicable building codes with such a restriction.

ctroyp

charlie b said:
It's not an NEC restriction. I do not know if there are any applicable building codes with such a restriction.
Well, at least for argument-sake, he is wrong per 528.4. That is, since he claimed it was in the NEC. It doesn't sound like he has consulted an electrical professional before hand--engineer or electrician for that matter.

celtic

It could be a local amendment of some nature...I have worked on few different malls in few different cities, all within NJ. In one particular mall, EMT was required for everything, any whips max. 6'. This may have been a design standard instituted by the property owners/investors or some other "powerful" group. In that same county, a different mall (with different owners) did NOT have that same requirement ~ code minimum was all they wanted.

I use the term "mall" quite loosely.."mall" includes every single story from a huge Macy's to a tiny men's suit store, included all "common areas and restrooms, etc.

Just my 0.02?

roger

Staff member
Occupation
Retired Electrician
Celtic, I agree local codes take precedence, but per the OP, the architect is using the NEC for his position.

Roger

celtic

Roger,
I completely understand "per the arch/NEC"...but as we all know - it ain't a perfect world!

I would concede/agree that unless the arch. has documented proof of the "requirement", MC should NOT be an issue.

Minuteman

I was forman on a bank add-on that was a spec "No MC", no problem.

The touchy part is, construction on a volunteer non-profit budget and an architect that cites non-existing NEC codes.

ctroyp, God bless YOU my friend.

steve66

Occupation
Engineer
Ctroyp:

So are you just wanting to use MC for fixture whips, or are you planning to make dozens of 100' home runs using MC?

I can't defend saying its in the code when it isn't, but engineers and architects do have the right to request things above and beyond the code.

Steve

Minuteman

Like others have said, it may be a local mandate. Point is, pulling MC in stud walls is a labor saver, especially WOOD studs. Also, I would assume that they have a "Building Owner" permit to do the work, but few skilled workers that can run EMT. Homeruns and anything exposed should DEFINITELY be in EMT.

ctroyp

steve66 said:
Ctroyp:

So are you just wanting to use MC for fixture whips, or are you planning to make dozens of 100' home runs using MC?

I can't defend saying its in the code when it isn't, but engineers and architects do have the right to request things above and beyond the code.

Steve
I am actually asking this question in reference to an argument that the architect stated that this 'rule' is in the NEC--while we do not agree.

Obviously the whips and such would be in mc or equal and he does have the right to make such additional restrictions. But again, this is just for the sake of argument that the "200+ occupants shall not be mc" rule of his is untrue per NEC.

petersonra

Occupation
engineer
If your labor is free, I'd be inclined to think EMT is the way to go. it is cheaper than MC.

You can train people to do most of the EMT work in an hour or less. Tough bends can be reserved for those who know how to do it.

I was involved in a similar project. I knew almost zilch about running EMT when I started but I was free labor. Most of the work was running straight lengths of EMT and securing them in place, setting boxes, and terminations.

We had one real electrician who was a wizard at making bends. He could eyeball an obstruction, make a few measurements, and in about a minute come up with the oddest shaped piece of EMT that always actually fit. He spent most of his time making sure the amateurs did things right. He even showed me how to make an offset bend so we did not have to buy one for every box (most of our boxes were surface mounted on concrete block).

Status
Not open for further replies.